Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

1 members and 2,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATB Care

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks
    hello im gettting a Amazon tree Boa tomorrow and i wuold like some help on taking care of these guys the one im buying he is so cool hes not head shy or anything why can't you handle these snakes that much. thanks Aaron
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Banned
    Thanks
    I really like nippy idk why but i just like patterns like that(ex.bredls carpet python)

Thanks
    In our Snake Care section we have a caresheet for these guys. That should give you a basic idea of the husbandry aspects. As far as handling them goes, they are snakes that are easily stressed so handling them often is not advised. They are prone to regurge and death if they are stressed too much.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    alright so say i want to get my girl to be used to being handled how much is to much. When i got her out today to look at her she was rapped around my arm then sometimes stretched out but did not try to bight or hiss or even was head shy. Im concerned on the tank i have a 20 gallon long will that work and do you think 130 is to much for this girl?

Banned
    Thanks
    I really like nippy idk why but i just like patterns like that(ex.bredls carpet python)
    sorry to go off topic here but i couldve sworn that i put this on the post w/atb pics???

Thanks
    Yeah you did,lol there were three pics, nippy snippy and dippy.

Thats really wierd i wonder how it got here.
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    alright i need to know what do i need i have a 20 gallon long tank no caresheet says they need any light or special lighting. I need a picture or something to help me with this. Also is there any good cages already made that i can buy for when he gets to an adult size thanks. Aaron

Thanks
    also is a garden phase worth 130 bucks it's at a petstore and i have never seen one around here before

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ATB Caresheet
    There are many different methods in which you can keep ATBā€™s. When yearlings, something as simple as a 10-gallon aquarium turned on end (with most of the screen covered), or a sterilite container does the job quite nicely. When full grown, you will need a minimum of a 2'x2'x2' enclosure. When choosing your enclosure, be sure to keep in mind the high humidity and ventilation needed for these snakes. Wooden enclosures are less than satisfactory for precisely this reason. High humidity will warp uncovered wood. Melamine is somewhat better, but if not sealed properly, will bubble and warp as well. Sterilite containers work well for ATB's. They are easily cleaned, hold humidity and heat well, and are less expensive than other enclosures. Many experienced arboreal keepers prefer to use high impact plastic (such as Vision) and acrylic enclosures. They hold humidity very well, are attractive and easily cleaned. The final point you need to consider when choosing an enclosure is accessibility. These snakes are a bit more ornery than most and they do bite. You will want to have room enough to dodge their long sharp teeth. If building your own enclosure, consider building a tray in the bottom. This makes it much easier to change substrate without disturbing the snake.

Whichever route you decide to take, remember that these are arboreal snakes. They will spend the majority of the time on perches. ATB's like to have three points of their bodies touching their perch at all times. It is best to cross branches or use forked branches in their enclosures.
    I will add that you will need a water bowl and it might not be a bad idea to at least provide one hide. ATB's are known to spend a limited amount time on the ground. The perches for an ATB are the key. I've heard of people using everything from PVC pipe ( properly cleaned ) to Tinker-Toys ( properly cleaned and sealed ).

I'm not too sure what you mean when you say you "need a picture of something to help me with this." What is this you are speaking of? As for adult caging, our Web Links section has good links to custom cage manufacturers. Check out their websites, see which you like and which one will be big enough for your ATB.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    When it comes to arboreals, you want the cage to be taller than it is long. I've heard of people turning tanks on end and using them to house their arboreals. You might want to consider that as long as you can make sure it won't tip over.

As for the price, I've seen garden phases at herp shows for much less than $130, but I doubt you'll find one for much less than that at a pet store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast