Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

3 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Terrible and Avoidable Tragedy

By singling out "PitBulls" you are playing right into the "Ban It!" crowd's hands. All dogs can bite and not all dog owners are responsible people. To single out a breed is to let the ban it crowd stick their foot in the door. First it's Pits then Rottys then Chows, and so on. Like Ron White said "You can't fix stupid" and no matter how many responsible people there are the irresponsible folks will always be with us. The town that I live in makes you buy a dog license every year but they don't check whether or not my dog is trained or cared for properly, only if they have had their shots. That is why licensing pet owners, at least in NJ, is a joke. A lousy owner's licensed dog might tear off your arm but at least you won't get rabies. It is the same for reptiles, to a large number of people a snake is a snake and they are all dangerous and people who like them are nuts. And then something like this horrific incident happens and it fuels the fires of the ban it crowd.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak Steve View Post
    By singling out "PitBulls" you are playing right into the "Ban It!" crowd's hands. All dogs can bite and not all dog owners are responsible people. To single out a breed is to let the ban it crowd stick their foot in the door. First it's Pits then Rottys then Chows, and so on. Like Ron White said "You can't fix stupid" and no matter how many responsible people there are the irresponsible folks will always be with us. The town that I live in makes you buy a dog license every year but they don't check whether or not my dog is trained or cared for properly, only if they have had their shots. That is why licensing pet owners, at least in NJ, is a joke. A lousy owner's licensed dog might tear off your arm but at least you won't get rabies. It is the same for reptiles, to a large number of people a snake is a snake and they are all dangerous and people who like them are nuts. And then something like this horrific incident happens and it fuels the fires of the ban it crowd.
    The *good* thing about pit bulls, is that for the most part, as we recognise them today, they are not really a breed. The few actual owners of PAPERED American Pit Bull Terriers and Staffordshire Terriers aren't usually the problem owners. Leglislation on this gets into the weeds fast once the authorities realize they are trying to come up with a ban for a motley collection of mutts bred for short hair, stocky bodies, and heavy boned wide-jawed heads, descended from a diverse variety of breeds. The only thing those problem dogs have in common with each other would be the low-life $#!%-heads they're stuck with.

I agree, you can't fix stupid.
    Liscensing is about revenue and control, not safety.
    Last edited by distaff; 07-17-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks

I think it would be pretty reasonable for it to be illegal to sell deadly animals to someone who isn't old enough to buy liquor.

A licensing system for owning any highly venomous reptile makes sense to me. It benefits the animals by ensuring that they're only placed into the hands of people who are educated and dedicated enough to pursue keeping them in the first place. I kind of feel the same way about giant constrictors, too. Not because they're particularly dangerous, but because they are "advanced" exotics and there are so many people who are able to get their hands on them without knowing the faintest thing about how to properly keep them.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Texas already requires a license to own venomous snakes and the man who died had one according to this article:

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local...dead/30283715/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

KMG (07-18-2015)

Thanks
    Accidents happen even if you're an experienced individual. Those that decide to own hots know full well they could die should some freak accident happen. It only takes a split second. I feel like it's up to the individual to decide if that's a risk they're willing to take. They just need to make sure their risk does not impose a risk on anyone else. I do like the idea of some kind of way to regulate who can own hots. I think it's fair to require secure locking enclosures, a locked room they're housed in, and apprenticeship for X hours under a knowledgable and safe hot owner. That's something the average person looking to own a hot should do.

I don't think large constrictors should have this kind of permit system. It's a tough situation. While on one hand I don't want regulations to open the gates to even more regulations and bans, but on the other I feel hots are an animal only really skilled and capable individuals should have. Much like owning a big cat, bear, wolves, etc. Make the permit systems obtainable, and make sure it requires enough effort that some person isn't going to go buy themselves a cobra to look cool for his friends. Putting that time and money to make sure the animals are properly housed and handled should weed out any impulse buys and hopefully cut down on the amount of stories that make the news.

Personally, I really love the look of monocled cobras and gaboons, but I'm not willing to take the risk.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Texas already requires a license to own venomous snakes and the man who died had one according to this article:

Tis true bcr. The article does state that the young man had the necessary permit but it doesn't appear that obtaining the permit requires any formal training or demonstrated proficiency in the handling of venemous snakes. You just have to pay $20 or $60. I think there needs to be much tougher guidelines than that.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/faq/business/...es/index.phtml

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    At 18 you have some maturing to do but you are not a kid.

You can buy a rifle or shotgun, go to prison, join the military, and own a venomous snake.

I have a friend that is in his 30's and was given a rattlesnake and now has a few different hots. He has no business owning them but he does. It sounds like this 18 year old had more experience than my friend. I don't see the issue with his age.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

That cobra was still just a little guy. I wonder what happened.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    I hope this tragedy dont affect the reptile community here in texas.
    it would be sad to have reptiles bans :/
    -Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fLako0aGuiiLaR View Post
    I hope this tragedy dont affect the reptile community here in texas.
    it would be sad to have reptiles bans :/
    We don't want it to effect any state. You've gotta fight whatever bans/regulations come no matter what state. United front.
    Alluring Constrictors

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast