Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Stupid Rookie Mistake...

Note to self: never allow you Kingsnake get a whiff of your BP. They go mental. Last night I picked up Seshat (my BP) while still in her shoebox, then put her in a plastic container while I cleaned her tank. I then put her back. Afterwards, Khyan, my Kingsnake did his “business” so I decided to clean his tank too. I placed him in the same plastic container and proceeded to clean out his pad. Idiot that I am, I never thought of cleaning out the container prior to putting Khyan in there and he absorbed Seshat’s scent. When I put him back into his bachelor pad, he went stir crazy. He spun around his pad like a mad man, ransacking everything, turning over his skull, tossing his paper towel rolls, biting himself and basically having an anxiety attack.

Realizing what I had done, I pulled him out and placed him in a pillow case so he could chill a bit. I removed all of his belongings and cleaned his pad once again to remove the smell. I only put back his hut and leafy branch to be safe. Then I gave Khyan a bath, placing him under some water and cleaning him with some natural shampoo; twice. I gave him a kiss, told him mom was very sorry for causing him so much stress and put him back in his pad. He did his usual "sniff and explore" but was otherwise calm. This morning he was stretched out on his branch basking in the sunlight.

Thanks

Re: Stupid Rookie Mistake...

Woo-hoo.... I know my king goes nuts when he catches a look of another one of my snakes too. Not that crazy, though! I had my one ball in his tank right next to my king temporarily and he has yet to eat any mice since, even though I have moved the other snake away. I'm thinking he is holding out for that other snake (I had a towel up so he couldn't see the snake, but I'm imagining he must have been able to smell the other guy). One day he'll get hungry enough for the mice again.

I always make sure I wash out the containers and my hands when switching from snake to snake and I'm guessing from now on, you will too. It's better to be clean and safe than sorry in case there's mites you haven't noticed or something... but that's crazy, didn't think they'd go so nuts that they'd bite themselves! Glad you were able to calm him down.
    living and learning.
    4.2 Ball Pythons
    1.0 California King Snake
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa
    0.2 Red Tail BCI

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ratchet For This Useful Post:

squatsnstilettos (07-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Nothing like a crazy strong feeding response to keep things interesting!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Nothing like a crazy strong feeding response to keep things interesting!
    You're not kidding!! I don't think I'll ever have feeding issues with this boy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
    Woo-hoo.... I know my king goes nuts when he catches a look of another one of my snakes too. Not that crazy, though! I had my one ball in his tank right next to my king temporarily and he has yet to eat any mice since, even though I have moved the other snake away. I'm thinking he is holding out for that other snake (I had a towel up so he couldn't see the snake, but I'm imagining he must have been able to smell the other guy). One day he'll get hungry enough for the mice again.

I always make sure I wash out the containers and my hands when switching from snake to snake and I'm guessing from now on, you will too. It's better to be clean and safe than sorry in case there's mites you haven't noticed or something... but that's crazy, didn't think they'd go so nuts that they'd bite themselves! Glad you were able to calm him down.
    Yeah I am usually OCD about cleaning and stuff because I have multiple creatures living with me. Last night I just wasn't thinking. I had no idea what to do but just went off what seemed logical. I'm glad it worked too. I love the names of your babies by the way!!

Thanks

A few months ago I went to put my pastel female back from cleaning her cage and she went near my kingsnakes cage which is on top of my rack and my kingsnake came out he didn't seem aggressive towards her but he did have interest

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Ps don't mind the blood stain yama is a vicious feeder and likes to pin and slam his prey against the glass before biting

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    This is why I call my king the Commodore. Haha. He's adorable and still pretty small, but heaven forbid there's another snake in his line of sight…which is odd because all my other snakes are more than substantially larger than him…feisty little thing.
    1.0 Python regius (Marshmallow)
    0.1 Pantherophis guttatus (Prudence)
    0.1 Epicrates cenchria (Lily)
    1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Taco)
    0.1 Boa constrictor imperator (Valkyrie)
    0.1 Eryx colubrinus (Willow)
    0.1 Lampropeltis triangulum (Unnamed)
    0.0.1 Python reticulatus
    0.0.1 Morelia spilotes