Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

1 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mites

Registered User Colored Kracker's Avatar
    Thanks

Mites

I recently bought a pinstripe BP & I've had a regular BP well after a week or so my pinstripe has been living in the water bowl ,concerned about it I called the petshop I bought her at & noticed the regular BP had mites ALOT & the new pinstripe had very few .. What can I do to get rid of them any help would be appreciated !! [IMG]

☆Colored Kracker☆
    Colored Kracker

Thanks
    First thing you are going to have to do a TOTAL cleaning of your enclosure. Throw away all remaining substrate, wash and clean all hides and any other implements in the cage. Ideally you would boil them or run through a dishwasher. Any porous or wood based cage additions need to be sanitized under high heat. Next step is to get a mite killer. I like Natural Chemistry mite spray. Its non toxic to the animal, and can be directly applied to both the cage and the snake. After cleaning the cage, spray, let sit, and then wipe down the entire enclosure. You can and should spray all items in the cage as well. Next, I would soak the snakes for 20-30 min in warm, NOT hot water. Then spray some of the mite killer on a paper towel or cloth and let the snake move through the towel so as to wipe them down. Try not to let the spray get in their eyes. This effort should kill the vast majority of the mites. The good thing about Natural Chemistry products is that they can be reapplied every few days if you see more mites. There are other mite killers like Provent-A-Mite, which do kill the mites, but I just don't trust them directly applied to the animal. Good luck, this is one of the most frustrating, but common issues in herpetoculture.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Given the pictures of the enclosures you're in for a fun time. Fortunately you only have two to treat.

Substrate, hides, or cage decor made of wood will be infested with mite eggs and should be thrown away.

Plastic plants, bowls, hides, and decor can go into the dishwasher.

Otherwise the info you need to fight the infestation is here:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...it-with-AaronP

Since the mites have had several weeks to take hold plan on re-treating their enclosures every two weeks for eight weeks. You should always have a supply of treated and dried paper on hand to replace soiled paper.

Next, you need to read this: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...antine-process

Finally, assume every new snake you bring into your home as mites until proven otherwise. If it comes from a big box pet store it's a safe assumption.

Thanks
    That's true, wooden hides might be best thrown away. I have salvaged some porous hides after boiling intensely but its usually safer to throw.

Thanks

Re: Mites

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    That's true, wooden hides might be best thrown away. I have salvaged some porous hides after boiling intensely but its usually safer to throw.
    Easier to replace with plastic. Plus when, not if, your snake ends up eliminating on a wood hide it's almost impossible to clean and disinfect.

Thanks
    One thing im suprised no one pointed out is that "cuddling" isn't healthy, and likely causing stress on the snake, Its quit a dominance thing always draping on one another, So IF you keep them together offer 2 of everything. ie; Hides/Water/Hot spot/Coolspot

Thanks

Thank you everyone I appreciate all the input !!

☆Colored Kracker☆
    Colored Kracker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CORBIN911 View Post
    One thing im suprised no one pointed out is that "cuddling" isn't healthy, and likely causing stress on the snake, Its quit a dominance thing always draping on one another, So IF you keep them together offer 2 of everything. ie; Hides/Water/Hot spot/Coolspot
    I totally missed that.

Thanks
    Poor guys.... And yes, please do just separate them. It is better for them overall, less stressful, so less likely to get sick from stress. And it will completely prevent the rare but possible cannibalism of one by the other.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks

Thank you , I never knew that keeping them together was a bad idea .. ever since I bought my stripe & introduced her to the tank my reg BP has been alot more active .. I assumed that was a good thing

☆Colored Kracker☆
    Colored Kracker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast