Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

0 members and 2,971 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Salsa and Dali

Thanks

Re: Hello

Well, it turns out I've had Salsa and Dali for about 6 days, and both are starting to show signs of MBD. Apparently the people I got them from don't know what they're doing.

They're under a UVA/UVB light right now (hopefully that will help). I've got a gurantee on them for another 9 days, so we'll see what happens.

Dali is worse off than Salsa. Hopefully these guys will pull through and make it. I'm very confident it's not my husbandry, as they've been getting calcium every day, and the other two geckos (which I've had for a lot longer) are fine.

Dali has put on some weight , but he looks thin. Salsa is thicker, but not 100% up to par, I'd say.

These guys were a gamble when I got them, and we'll see how they do. :cry:
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    I'm probably over reacting, what's currently clueing me in to a Calcium defi here is that Dali has some slight zig zags in his tail, so I'm going to keep a very close eye on my geckos for a while.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.

Thanks
    i hope they pull through.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks
    What is MBD? And what do zig zags on the tail mean? I guess I'm too new to this to know...
    -This has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way-

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    MBD = Metabolic Bone Disease
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks
    It's not so much zig zag's on his tail, as his tail is zig zaged slightly. It's a sign of calcium deficiency. MBD usually means that the gecko (or lizard) wasn't getting enough calcium. Typically signs are zig zags in the tail, soft lower jaw, trembling, or jerky movements, trouble walking..etc. It can be "cured" but it's fairly diffcult, and usually requires liquid calcium ingestion if the gecko can still swallow.

Dali is doing better (in my mind anyway) but he will always have those slight kinks in his tail now.

If I had a good photo I'd post it for you. Anyway, Dali has been living in a smaller container for a few days, and being fed seperately. I think he's going to be okay, but I'm keeping an eye on him regardless. His jaw is firm, and his doesn't seem to have any problem walking or anything.

Salsa is fine.

Thanks
    sorry for your troubles. are they both eating good? are they real skinny like showing their ribs? sounds like your doing what you can. dr. scott stahl personally keeps rhacs, might be worth a phone call to him.
    www.seavs.com

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks
    Both of them are eating the crickets no problem. Dali is fine when it comes to the baby food (I've seen him at the dish). I haven't seen Salsa at his dish, but it has no problem taking the food of my finger.

I finally fixed my scale today. I'm going to weigh them and see what's going on. If they don't seem to be putting on any weight after a few days, I'll run them into one of the emergency clinics and see what they can do.

Thanks
    Best of luck with the little guys. I'm glad that it sounds like it's still in a fixable stage at this point. I would watch them very carefully if I were you, and consider returning them before the option runs out if they don't look like they're going to be healthy for you. It's hard to give up animals, but maybe some returns along with a little education would motivate the store owners to take better care of the animals.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!