Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

1 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

I messed up. BP feeding problem.

Hello! i Just purchased my first ball python(first snake for that matter) at the raleigh nc repticon this past weekend. Its the second day, the breeder said she was on empty the day i got her. I went to feed her frozen thawed, she missed the first strike, and nailed the second strike and was constricting the mouse. From all the research I have done everyone has said give the mouse a slight tug to mimic resistance and struggle. When i gave the mouse a slight tug she hissed and let go of the mouse right away. I then attempted to feed her the mouse again she appeared completely uninterested and even a little fearful of the mouse backing her head away. I decided to call it quits for the day because i dont want to stress her out. Have i ruined frozen thawed for her? Thanks-

Thanks
    Give it a week then try again (unless she's a really small baby, in which case you may want to just give it a couple days). There's no reason to pull on the mouse after the snake strikes. Some will tighten up when you do that, others will freak out and let go. Nothing to worry about though. Most snakes won't eat for a week or two after being rehomed so you've got plenty of time before you need to worry.

Also, no handling till she's eating well for you is a good rule. It can stress them out and make them less likely to take food at first.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Re: I messed up. BP feeding problem.

Thanks! Ill try again in a week to give her some time to chill and recover.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

I messed up. BP feeding problem.

The tugging suggestion probably gets passed around for someone like in my case. I just recently converted old adult snakes over to F/T that have only eaten live for years. After they coil, I very gently tug on the tail or a foot, or even poke the hip - whatever I can reach. I do this intermittently for 30-45 seconds to help make these girls think that they are still eating live. I will back off bit by bit as time goes by.

Last edited by Reinz; 06-29-2015 at 05:55 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

In my experience the tug is only needed if they're known to not eat the food after constricting. For instance our big pinstripe girl will constrict and then abandon her food. She's been doing this for the past couple months. I realized last night I had been forgetting to wiggle the rat as she constricted. Last night she ate it for the first time in over a month, maybe because I was tugging on the rat for 30 seconds, or maybe she was just finally hungry. Who knows! (:

Thanks

On a somewhat unrelated note...
    I was there too. Good show IMO. What did you end up with?

Dave

Thanks

I agree it was a great show! I got my first ball python (im a gecko and frog guy) but wanted to get into snakes. Shes het for albino and 66% het piebald. 10 months old. Then I picked up a male bell ct sunglow leo and a female sunglow. Everyone for the most part was selling good quality leos for so cheap! I did notice a few breeders that didnt seem to know much about the reptiles they were producing or even care, so I steered away from them. Then I just picked up some items for my GABF. I had a great time though, it was nice to be around tons of reptile lovers in one place.

Thanks
    The tugging method is mainly used for snakes that were on live once upon a time. My pastel was raised on live. When he strikes f/t, I give it a couple of little tugs to mimic live. I also do this for my red tail boa but, he has been on f/t his entire life. I still tug it (habit from my ball python). He doesn't freak out. But, I care for my brothers ball pythons (11 of em) all the time and some of them (5 of them, to be exact) get freaked out by the tug. It just depends on the snake.