Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,021

3 members and 3,018 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Havin more than 1 bp in 1 enclosure?? Safe?

I've herd mixed things in this and wanted some more opinions. To my knowledge, they're very unlikely to hurt each other on purpose, but feeding is a problem if they are both interested in eating and are near each other. When I say more than 1 I mean 2 possibly 3. If this isn't dangerous how big of an enclosure would u need? Does age (difference) matter? Does it matter if one has already been living in the enclosure alone for a while? Does gender matter? Does size matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Does morph difference matter? (Wouldn't get a spider)

Thanks
    DH says snakes will go cannibal if they're hungry. :( Not sure if there's a size limitation on that. I don't think morph/gender would matter - hungry snakes are hungry and other snakes look like food. I know some shops will keep multiple snakes in an enclosure, but I don't know for how long, or how they handle feeding in those situations.

Thanks
    Most people will tell you that its not a smart thing to do because there is potential for one snake to eat another. In my early years of snake keeping I housed a 9' red tailed boa with my female BP that was 4 foot for years w/o problems. If you do house them together you absolutely must not feed them in the same cage. However I do agree with most that you should if at all possible not house them together. One thing with housing them together that could happen is when you feed the snakes (In separate cages/container) the smell of the mouse/rat could be on the snake and the other snakes could mistake that snake as prey. If your housing situation is only temporary then i'd say make sure to feed in separate containers and rub your snake off with a damp wash cloth afterwards. Some say snakes get stressed when together but I've heard mixed reviews on that topic. The size of the snakes housed together should be close to the same size if at all possible. Gender only matters if they are older snakes and your not wanting to breed them.
    1.0 Mojave Orange Ghost
    1.0 Lemon Pastel Bumblebee
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow
    0.1 Super Specter
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Fire YB Pewter

Thanks
    Generally not recommended to inexperienced keepers. It's important to understand the signs of stress in reptiles in order to do this successfully. I also don't believe there would be much to benefit from housing ball pythons together. The chance of cannibalism is very small in this snakes and virtually nonexistent if they're well fed.
    Last edited by tbowman; 06-14-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Havin more than 1 bp in 1 enclosure?? Safe?

I wouldn't house multiple snakes together at all especially when you can buy a rack that will take up half the space a tank and house 10 to 12 adults in there own enclosure.

Sent from my LGL15G using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to frostysBP For This Useful Post:

SKO (06-14-2015)

Thanks

Re: Havin more than 1 bp in 1 enclosure?? Safe?

Cohabitation is generally seen as not a good idea. It stresses them out. They lay on top of each other for dominance reasons. Also, if one gets sick it can very easily get the other one sick. Plus let's say if one day you find weird looking feces or urates or something wrong, you're bringing both snakes to the vet because you have no idea wich
    snake is sick. Just not a good idea. You want more then one snake then get more than one cage

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SKO For This Useful Post:

frostysBP (06-14-2015)