Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

0 members and 3,032 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Registered User farmer1911 45ACP's Avatar
    Thanks

Rat breeding schedule

How many rats can someone produce with a 6 tub homerack 6 ARS rat breeder tubs and 13 ARS mouse breeder tubs use for nursey for rats

Thanks

Re: Rat breeding schedule

Use 3 tubs for breeding, put 3 female breeders in each of the 3.

Tub 4 used to house spare males.

Tub 5 and 6 used house male and female weanlings being held for feed. Or put male and female weanlings together If fed off quickly, and use the extra tub for 3 more breeder females.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    So, you have 25 tubs in all, correct? If you had a group on three females in each of the large tubs(At least 6.) And you rotated the male around, into one group of females each week(For a week.) then you could have three litters born every week from just that one rack, and with only one male. The average size per litter is 10-15 so let's say each rat has 12 babies. That's an average of 36 babies per week, or 144 per month. All the extra tubs you have could be used for grow out tubs, to put any babies you haven't fed off yet. You could keep them in the 13 mouse breeder tubs.

When a female starts to slow down in production(Usually around a year old.) You can switch her with one of the grow out females, same with the male, though they usually still produce with age.

So, every week, you'd just put your male into the next tub. This would also give each female a two-week break after weaning her litter before being bred again. You can also just put one male in each tub with the girls, but this means instead of having those litters split up into a few every week, you'd have all 18 at once, so you'd have an average of 216 babies a month, but all at the same time, and the females won't have a break between, which can tire them out quicker. Plus, you'd have to have five more males, lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayRo626 View Post
    So, you have 25 tubs in all, correct? If you had a group on three females in each of the large tubs(At least 6.) And you rotated the male around, into one group of females each week(For a week.) then you could have three litters born every week from just that one rack, and with only one male. The average size per litter is 10-15 so let's say each rat has 12 babies. That's an average of 36 babies per week, or 144 per month. All the extra tubs you have could be used for grow out tubs, to put any babies you haven't fed off yet. You could keep them in the 13 mouse breeder tubs.

When a female starts to slow down in production(Usually around a year old.) You can switch her with one of the grow out females, same with the male, though they usually still produce with age.

So, every week, you'd just put your male into the next tub. This would also give each female a two-week break after weaning her litter before being bred again. You can also just put one male in each tub with the girls, but this means instead of having those litters split up into a few every week, you'd have all 18 at once, so you'd have an average of 216 babies a month, but all at the same time, and the females won't have a break between, which can tire them out quicker. Plus, you'd have to have five more males, lol.
    I don't rotate any males. All my tubs are 1.4. The babies aren't all born at once. Yes I have more males to feed but I produce a lot more rats because the females are bred back immediately.
    Ron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:

cchardwick (09-17-2016)

Thanks

That's true, but as I said before, this does mean you don't have all the extra males to feed(Also helps with the smell.) And it's a lot healthier for the females, and they will produce more, healthier babies. It's not my choice to make how everyone else breeds their rats though, and I don't really care how.(The exception being the rats being kept in horrible conditions.) It's up to them. That's just my preference. I currently only have one male a three females, all together in a single tub, since I don't yet have a rack. When I can though, I'd like to have a 6 tub rack with one or two females in each tub(Since I don't need a lot of babies.), rotating my male with two extra tub cages for babies. I don't own snakes right now, only the rats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayRo626 View Post
    That's true, but as I said before, this does mean you don't have all the extra males to feed(Also helps with the smell.) And it's a lot healthier for the females, and they will produce more, healthier babies. It's not my choice to make how everyone else breeds their rats though, and I don't really care how.(The exception being the rats being kept in horrible conditions.) It's up to them. That's just my preference. I currently only have one male a three females, all together in a single tub, since I don't yet have a rack. When I can though, I'd like to have a 6 tub rack with one or two females in each tub(Since I don't need a lot of babies.), rotating my male with two extra tub cages for babies. I don't own snakes right now, only the rats.
    I have no problem with people keeping their animals how they want. However you keep saying there are extra males to feed which is true. You also say the females will produce more babies rotating which is untrue. With a male in the tub at all times I will outproduce a rotation. The little extra food is made up by more babies. I keep the rats and mice fed, watered, cleaned, and vented. However they are for one thing only snake food. If I wanted what was the best for them then I wouldn't breed them. Yes they will burn out quicker and yes I do a much shorter rotation before my breeders get fed off. If I did it your way though I would need a 20' x 20' building at least to keep all my racks in. I am not saying your way is wrong but it isn't for everyone.
    Ron

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    I have 7 racks all 6 high with 42 total tubs. Most all are 1:4 or 1:5. I have ~160 females and about 25 males, so I have to rotate some males. I find the more you have to rotate the males, the quicker the tubs get to be a mess as the male is marking up his territory for his new girls. Many of my males just stay with the same females, and I only rotate a few males to new females I've held back. A few tubs are dedicated to moms raising females to be breeders, and a few grow out tubs with about ~20 grow out females before they are ready to breed.

Males I rotate stay with females for ~3 weeks and then move on to other females. Seeing as I started with about 40 female breeders about 6 months ago things are going very well.