Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

2 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am I correct...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    that my 5 month old Male Crested is destined to live as a single guy? I don't want to put another male with him becasue they may fight, but if I put a female in with him I'll have babies all the time...right? Any crestie birth control?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Yeah, if you put a female in there with him you'll have babbies all the time

Dreki is destined to move to another home very soon (possibly this weekend), so I don't get eggs to early.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    You could get him that African millipede you talked about before for a roomie. Alternatively, make the enclosure twice as big as it needs to be and go ahead and get him a male buddy and see what happens. There are several breeders who claim they house males together without aggression on a regular basis because there's enough territory that they don't have to fight over it.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    MMMM. What size cage would you recommend then? He's in a 16x16x24 'bilevel' - there's a plant ledge that kind of divides it in half. What if I had a new one built that was twice the length (32lx16wx24h) - do you think that would be good enough? I wonder if they'd need separate food dishes?

But then again, I'm a bit of a chicken to risk it. I'll probably just go with a second cage. When you group females together, do they 'socialize' at all or stay to themselves?

I forgot about the Millipede!
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I am constantly finding Carmen and Scooby less than an inch apart, so I'd say they socialize. I'd like to have enough cresties (and money) to try housing a small colony in a cage like one of the big chameleon cages and see what social behavior there may be to observe. Unfortunately, that's not an option at the moment, but if I were going to house a pair of males together, I think I'd try to go for a minimum of the size you suggested, or even bigger like the 100 gallon Apogee reptarium (lining 3 sides w/ Glad Press 'n' Seal, probably).
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    hey tiger, in the rhac bible (repashy) they have kept cresteds with crocodile skinks, aussie pink-tongue skinks and african millipedes with success. my females get along fine, i've heard some people comment on keeping males together some have no problems, i think the males were raised together and in big setups (75 gal.)

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah, that book is where I got the millipede idea from. I'm just such a wienie about housing multiples and mixing species. I'm worried something will go wrong, but I do think about trying it often.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Well, if you think you want to take the plunge, Giant Geckos is selling a bunch of baby pink tounged skinks.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    You can prevent crested geckos from breeding by simulating winter. You can do this by lowering their night temps. ( I think you don't have to do anything to the day temps.)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    But when you raise the temps back up to normal for the rest of the year - then what?
    Crested Gecko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast