Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,976

3 members and 2,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Help! Is my snake sick???

Okay so I was handling her tonight and noticed some wetness at her lips. She wasn't blowing bubbles or anything but it was definitely there and visible. I haven't seen her sky dazing but when I was handling her she yawned twice, which has never happened before, and I put her down on my rug for a couple of minutes and she yawned another three times. My main concern is the saliva around her mouth. What do you think? Go to the vet or keep watching her condition?
    0.1 het VPI axanthic (Arya)

Thanks
    I'm no expert but I know that yawning can sometimes mean trouble. I'd just keep a close watch on her and if she starts blowing bubbles or it gets worse in any way, take her in to the vet. good luck!

Thanks
    That sounds suspicious. Keep a really close eye on her and listen daily for any popping or whistling noises when she breathes or symptoms such as being listless or lethargic. If any of that pops up it's time for a vet visit. The sooner you catch a respiratory infection, the easier it is to knock it out.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    Alright I'm really hoping the vet is open tomorrow because I want to get her in ASAP. Since it's Sunday night again I decided to try feeding, and while I was presenting the rat she started opening her mouth and tilting her head to the side, and like jerking it downward. I tried to get a video but she stopped as soon as my camera app opened. It seemed like something was IN her mouth, and I'm assuming it was mucous. There was also something on her back that I scooped up and put into a little baggy... should I save it and bring it to the vet with me? And has anyone seen the mouth open head jerking thing before? It really freaked me out.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help! Is my snake sick???

The vet won't be open unless it's an emergency vet. Have you noticed liquid around her mouth again? Has she fed recently? I've seen monty open her mouth and "yawn" a few times. I took her to the vet, concerned, and paid $600 to find out that she was just readjusting her jaw. Does one side of her mouth go down further when she jerks it down? What kind of substrate do you have in your tank?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    The vet won't be open unless it's an emergency vet. Have you noticed liquid around her mouth again? Has she fed recently? I've seen monty open her mouth and "yawn" a few times. I took her to the vet, concerned, and paid $600 to find out that she was just readjusting her jaw. Does one side of her mouth go down further when she jerks it down? What kind of substrate do you have in your tank?
    They're not open, I hope waiting until tomorrow won't be bad :/
    Yes there was liquid and there was something in her mouth when she was doing it. This wasn't a yawn, she tilted her head sideways and was like spazzing out and jerking it downward.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Help! Is my snake sick???

IMO, yawning is a event that happens when snakes awaken from sleep, realigning the jaws after or before a meal and a reflexive movement when external forces are applied to the upper jaw or lower jaw. As far as the fluid in her mouth are you sure she wasn't drinking water just prior to your observing it? Was it a lot of fluid or just a bit? Certainly can be suspicious, but just as a differential. Main point. Any change to your husbandry? Did you triple check the temps? Try bumping the ambient temperature a bit. The ultimate definitive action is the herp vet but try and troubleshoot everything in your power first.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikesmelly View Post
    They're not open, I hope waiting until tomorrow won't be bad :/
    Yes there was liquid and there was something in her mouth when she was doing it. This wasn't a yawn, she tilted her head sideways and was like spazzing out and jerking it downward.
    Snakes salivate. She may be getting to get whatever it is out of her mouth (substrate etc.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Maybe mouth rot? How much saliva? Pictures would help. Sorry the vet is more then likely to be closed today because of the holiday.

Thanks
    I would like to get a picture of the inside of her mouth to show you guys, but I don't have any tools to open her mouth and I doubt I can get the timing right for a yawn...