Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

1 members and 2,981 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Coconut husk too wet

I was using newspaper as substrate in my BP rack but I was having difficulties keeping up the humidity so someone suggested coconut husk. I put it in my snakes tubs but I am finding it too moist. I figured in a couple of days it would dry up but it has been a week and the humidity has been (and still is) around 88%. Will RIs and scale rot be a risk to my snakes? Every couple or so hours I have been wiping the moisture off the sides of the tubs but some of my snakes are getting irritated and a couple of my most friendly snakes are getting snappy from my constant intrusion and one of my most shyest snakes even refused to eat this week. Even me wiping it down is not making a difference. Should I keep going with the coconut husk or should I go back to the unprinted news paper? (The unprinted news paper kept the humidity around 35%).

I have tried aspen but it was too dry too. I do not have the option of cypress mulch as it is very expensive here.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How deep is the substrate? Just thinning it out should solve the problem. You can also mix in dry with the stuff that's already wet at about a 50/50 ratio. Or use the paper as the base substrate and just sprinkle enough of the wet substrate to keep the humidity bumped.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Coconut husk too wet

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    How deep is the substrate? Just thinning it out should solve the problem. You can also mix in dry with the stuff that's already wet at about a 50/50 ratio. Or use the paper as the base substrate and just sprinkle enough of the wet substrate to keep the humidity bumped.
    Yes. What I usually do is soak 2 bricks all day (or overnight), spread out the resulting 'mulch' in the terrarium and then mix in a third, dry brick in and around the areas where the hides will be placed.

Thanks
    There is only about a centimeter thick layer... so not much. I will have to get some dry stuff then and hopefully it helps. Thank you.