Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,825

1 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virosan

Thanks
    I really don't know if I am putting this in the right forum, but here it goes. I know Virosan can be used to clean th enclosure suraces, plastic hides and, waterbowl and other non-porous material, but can it be used to clean sustrate, silk plants, and wooden branches. Also, how is it used and is it the same thing as baby bottle cleaner and where can it be bought?

Thanks

Komodo Dragons

It's just chlorhexadine and can be used to clean anything, even the animal. It's good for cleaning up wounds, abscessed teeth, etc. You can clean porous material, like wood and ceramic, just bake the wood afterwards so it dries and will kill anything left on it. You can buy virosan/chlorhexadine at medical supply stores, pro-exotics, just be sure to get the chlorhexadine solution, not the scrub. The scrub has soap in it and that wouldn't be good for just spraying and leaving on. We use it sometimes to scrub surgical sites on the animal before surgery.

It's good stuff, don't get me wrong, but I would rather do the whole bleach water thing and not have to pay an arm and a leg for a gallon jug of chlorhexadine. Any other questions, just ask
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yep, you can use it to clean everything. I love it and not having to worry about it being dried enough to be safe for my snake. I bought a gallon jug Aug 2003 and am still on the same jug. It lasts a long time since you dilute it with water. It goes a long way.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Ok, so you don't have to rinse it off? Is it as effective as bleach?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I keep a spray bottle of Virosan/water to spray and wipe water dishes and do daily spot disinfecting. Then for deeper disinfecitng I soak items in a Virosan/water solution for 15+ minutes (after cleaning with hot soapy water). Then rinse and dry. But what I mean is that with bleach you have to be certain it's all rinsed and dried as you don't want your snake coming in contact with bleach. With Virosan it's totally reptile safe so you don't have to be as concerned.

Vets and zoos use it so as far as I'm concerned it's as effective is not more so than bleach. I believe the cost breakdown of it makes it more cost effective than bleach - from what I've heard.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Nope, no rinsing. It is just as effective as bleach, and can be used for pretty much anything. Just don't spray it in the snake's eyes and you're good to go
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    hmm. very interesting. I will have to get some of that. It sounds very promising.

Thanks
    The forum Member Justcage, has some for sale.

Thanks
    They use virosan in hospitals as well.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    Yeah, I saw Justcage's ad, I am pm ing him, but also looking for a local place to purchase it in smaller quantities. I have problems with paypal sometimes, no fault of his, I just had a couple of accounts and some things have messed up, so, yeah, if I can find it locally then it would be easier for me. I don't want to buy masses of the stuff though, and justcage has the perfect amount

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast