Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 811

1 members and 810 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ok here is my situation. I just got a Burmese python on tuesday 11-16 from a lady out in Cali that apparantly didnt take the time to handle her. She is the meanest little thing I have ever seen. As soon as i walk in the room that I have her in she will start hissing and try to strike in my direction. I feed her today and she killed the rat but didnt eat it. I am going to try to switch her over to prekilled as soon as she becomes more tame. I have tried to hold her but when i let off of her head a little she tried to bite my hand and she tries to get around my arm and constrict. She did get around it once but i was able to get her undone no problem with a little help from my wife. So what can i do to try and tame her? BTW she has nice thickness to her and she is about 4+/- feet long. Thanks.

Thanks

How long to freeze?

Wow, sounds like you have a real handful.

You say you'll switch her to prekilled when she's tame.. I think switching her to prekilled will help her to become tame. A snake feeding on live prey is going to associate movement with food. That doesn't help you.

Other than that.. all I can think of is handling her (preferrably with a helper and thick clothing) to desensitise her. Also you may try putting some clothes you've worn in her cage with her so she gets accustomed to your scent.

Hope this helps, and hopefully someone more experienced will offer their help as well.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    No i said "MORE" tame meaning being able to stick my hand in the cage a little bit without her trying to strike at me and being mad because i am in the room.

Thanks
    Ah, I see. But still.. you could try a prekilled rat. Burms aren't known to be finicky eaters, so she may eat it without you having to do the 'mouse dance' to entice her.

April

Thanks
    Maybe you could just leave your hand in there for a while, just so she gets used to there bein hands in her tank, i had to do that with my corn........but then again SHE IS JUST A CORN not a 4 foot burm trying to rip my hand off. Even if my baby tagged me it wouldent be a big deal at all, and thats why i was so care free about doing it.You on the other hand.........i would be careful, im sure a bite from her wouldent feel to nice.

Good luck !
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    lol! Don't listen to him. Though, burm bites aren't that bad. At least at that size. :p

April

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I guess i could try that will a pair of gloves on and a heavy jacket so if she did actually tag me it wouldnt hurt that bad. i have only been tagged once and that was by a redtail after i got done feeding her. She was still hungry and my hand smelt like a rat.

Thanks
    Ok...let's back up. That snake isn't mad because you're in the room - she's afraid you want to eat her. Make sure she has LOTS of places to hide within her enclosure...crumple up a bunch of newspaper if you have to, or if she's in a glass tank, tape paper over the front of it so she doesn't feel so exposed.

Secondly - DON'T GRAB HER BEHIND THE HEAD! This is a big no-no - it immediately makes the snake lose all trust in you because you're basically confirming in the snake's mind that you DO wish to bring it harm. Think of how freaked out you'd be if some giant swooped down from above & grabbed you by the neck - bet you'd bite him too! Right now you're going to have to take quite a few bites until the snake realizes that you're actually not going to hurt it. Wear gloves if you have to - there's nothing wrong with that. But understand that every time you try to restrain the snake, especially by holding it behind the head, you're moving backward instead of forward when it comes to establishing trust.

Another thing - young Burms are BRATS!!!! Hissy, urate-flinging, nippy little snots until they figure out (yep) you're not going to eat them. Regular, positive interaction will help this phase pass quickly.

Good luck!

K
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KLG
    young Burms are BRATS!!!! Hissy, urate-flinging, nippy little snots until they figure out (yep) you're not going to eat them.
    lol! I have to agree. I had to deal with one of those 'snots' recently. She'd hiss like mad every time you picked her up. Though, within a week or so, she stopped.

April

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    ok thanks for the info KLG i didnt know that you werent supposed to hold them behind the head. I will just have to wear some gloves and a heavy sweater when i hold her. I have her in a 75 gallon aquarium for now untill i get her inclosure finished. She currently has 2 hides one on each side but dhe has been sitting on top of the hide on the hot side(old shoe box). So i will have to cover the sides up and see if that help as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast