Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,755

2 members and 2,753 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

A couple of newbie questions

I just had a few questions, first the thermostat for the UTH should I put it on the underside of the tank between the glass and the heater? I'm a little concerned about putting in the substrate as I don't want my BP to disturb it and I get inaccurate readings. Second I'm having a hard time getting the ambient temp of the tank in range. it hovers right at 76-77. He's housed in a 40 breeder with plastic covering half of the top to retain heat already I don't know if adding a small red light or ceramic heat emitter would make it too hot but I'm a little concerned. His cage is in my basement which tends to stay on the cooler side around 70 or so in the summer. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Put the prob between the uth and the glass for best and most accurate readings.... as for your temp problems a uth will not heat the tank, it will oy heat what it touches and the air above it slightly, if using a uth you need to wother controll the ambient temps of the whole room or you need another source of heat for your tank, you can use a red heat bulb or blue but if you dont need the light for viewing your better off getting a ceramic heat emitter (che) instead of the colored heat bulbs, they last far longer.... for the light make sure the socket is ceramic if your gonna go the che route cause they can get very hot, also make sure your light has a dimmer switch as opposed to the classic on/off style. If you cant find a dimmable light you can buy a plug in dimmer at home depot or lowes

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: A couple of newbie questions

For the ambient temperature look into a "versa top" for a 40 gallon tank. It will help the ambient temp and the humidity. They sell them at petland.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Re: A couple of newbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    For the ambient temperature look into a "versa top" for a 40 gallon tank. It will help the ambient temp and the humidity. They sell them at petland.
    How would a Versa top work with ventilation though? Does it fully cover the top with glass?

Thanks
    I believe you drill the holes in them, but alternative is to cover your entire screen top with foil, cut out the hole for your light giving a little gap around it, then on the opposite end of the lid give your self another vent hole... this is what i do for my glass tanks and i only mist once or twice a week my tanks a 40x18x18 and im using aspen with a 100w infared basking light for heat

Thanks

Re: A couple of newbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by M.P.C View Post
    I believe you drill the holes in them, but alternative is to cover your entire screen top with foil, cut out the hole for your light giving a little gap around it, then on the opposite end of the lid give your self another vent hole... this is what i do for my glass tanks and i only mist once or twice a week my tanks a 40x18x18 and im using aspen with a 100w infared basking light for heat
    I'm gonna try the aluminum foil and then go to the versa top. Partly because Petsmart didn't have the size for my 40B. I also picked up a lamp with a 40W bulb. Hopefully that'll bring the ambient temp up a bit, I didn't want to go with a 100W as I really only have to bring the temp up a few degrees and I don't want to risk it getting too hot. I may be way off base but I guess we'll see.