Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

1 members and 3,115 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    k, couple questions before i breed my mice (and penny stops sneezing).

1) once they have babies, i know the father will eat them. the mother wont, right? we'd be ok if we put the mother and babies in a seperate cage than the father?
    2) once the mice do the deed, will the male keep trying to go at it?? or is once enough for him?? how will i know when the mouse is pregnant, or the "planting of the seed" is successful?
    3) if the female queaks and tries to get away, what does that mean???
    4) do i just have them live together??? or watch them and wait til they do it??

the mice are all adults, too.

just some questions.
    1.1 bps- Apollo & Pandora ♥

Thanks

breeding my mice

1. The father may eat them. And- there is no gaurantee the mother wont either. Generally, it is a good idea to put the soon to be mother in a cage on her own way before she delivers. Because they go into heat right away after they deliver, and it is stressful if they get pregnant again after just delivering.
    2. The male will continue to try to "do it" with the female until she is no longer in heat. You wont know if she is pregnant until she starts to fatten up, thats usually about a week and a half before they deliver.
    3. IF the female is trying to get away, chances are- she is not in heat and not ready to breed.
    4. Leave them alone. Rodents (females) generally go into heat every 3-5 days anyhow. Leave them together for at least 2 weeks and she should end up pregnant.

Thier pregnancy is about 21-27 days- generally around 21.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    k, well, we have Nibbles with Hippo right now... i mean, he keeps trying to go after her and she tries getting away... i feel bad leaving them together, lol, i don't want poor Nibby to have a heart attack cuz hippos hormones are going crazy

so... even though shes all squealy and what not, leave them together?? you've helped a lot, thank you.

Thanks

these guys just irritate me sometimes.

The fact that she is trying to get away and squeeky, tells me she is probably not in heat. Generally, when they are ready, they tend to stick they rears out there for the male. I would leave her with him, she is not gonna have a heart attack. The only reason I would think about separating them is if either one is drawing blood from the other.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    k. Hippo is a very.... ready to go mouse. he is CONSTANTLY going after her and Penny. poor thing.. he was actually biting Penny, so we can't have them together. she had a little blood on her back. luckily, Penny gets along great with Lightning. so... we have our pairs. now we're just waiting.

if i have any other questions, i'll PM you. thanks again for you're help.

Thanks
    Ohhh yeah, i saw that at a pet store, it was like a horror scene, all the mice were trying to breed with eachother and they were all coverd in blood,(so were the walls of the tank) and the....."boy parts" on the males were all chewd up.Appantly those females were NOT in the mood for some luvin.

I asked the person who was working why the mice were being kept like that and why they were on display/for sale when they all were obviously injured and he just replied...."Hey Dude, thats nature mice like to #%&!" I was so furious, i didnt even know what to say to that.
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks

transporting for the weekend

oh wow.... i've decided to NEVER go to Petco to buy anything living again. i got my 2 mice there last Sunday, and the one i fed to Apollo had like 2 broken hips. the other one, which we kept, is sneezing and is probably sick. but, we got Nibbles, Hippo and Lightning from a private owned pet store, and they're in great condition. Pet stores are retarded. end of story.

oh, and the red tail that was there like 5 months ago before i got Pandora is still there. i feel so bad for him... he's a little baby and his cage is HUGE. i mean, it's bigger than a 40 gal tank. theres only 2 hides in the huge tank, and they're not even small. poor little guy

Thanks
    Father will most likely kill them if they were sired by a different male. Other than that you're probably good.

Set them up & let them live together...clean them 1-2 X a week or as necessary...wean babies when they're at that "teenager stage."

How big of a cage do you plan to set them up in?

Also, feed a high quality diet - it will greatly increase your production. If you can locate a feed store near you I'll recommend some different brands.

I manage our mouse colony, which is approx. 2000 animals right now - it's a real love/hate relationship, but you'll likely grow to enjoy raising fat, sleek mice to feed to your snakes.

I set mine up in groups of 1.6 or 1.7 in Freedom Breeder racks. You could easily do the same in a 20-gallon long tank.

BABY YOUR WEANLINGS - give them extra food & water cups - this will help you in the long run.

Also, adult mice are good for about 6 months worth of breeding, after which your group will start to crash, however quickly or slowly. Try to obtain stock from different breeders to maintain genetic diversity. If you can get your hands on some true Swiss Webster mice, you're in business. They're hardy & extremely prolific.

Ok...enough rambling for now. Holler if you need a hand!

K
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks
    oooo thanks!! i dont know what size tank they'll be in... what do you recommend?? and, i have a store by me that is a feed store... what brands do you think are best? is there any way i couldsee some pics of your set ups and what not?? maybe a set up or two that has some weanlings in it??

another thing... if i have too many babies, i'm going to have to keep them some where else. i'm not too comfortable keeping a huge mouse colony in my snake room. this leaves the basement... it is a basement and all, so its cold down there usually (the cement walls dont help much ). would that be ok?? or is it too cold?

Thanks

Re: transporting for the weekend

I heard its not good to have mice or rats in cold temps..........dont know exactly why though,but they can get pretty sick (this is just what i heard)

Hmmmm i wonder if you could put a heat pad under the tank....just to make the substrate (whatever it might be) warm.I dont know though, i woudlent try it unless somebody told me it was ok to do.
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast