Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

1 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

breeding a wild caught brown rat to a normal breeder.

So I had a rat problem in the house. My dachshund took care of one and I caught the other in a live trap. Put aside quarantine being aware hof their speed and wanting to escape, and babysitting them after putting him in with a couple females. ild like to hear some opinions please. My thought on it, is it introduces a new blood line. And eliminates some inbreeding problems as I breed them for feeders. I will carefully watch them for fighting. I have no where to relocate the rat. So it's this or kill it.

Again, quarantine, antiparasitic, and babysitting, what are your opinions reintroducing a "new bloodline"

Thanks!
    Nevin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see no benefit to it. I had my rat colony going for over 10 years and had started with 8 individuals producing several thousand rats in that time. I never detected any problems with inbreeding. I think the potential problems with passing on parasites and diseases are far more trouble than it's worth. If you don't wish to kill it, take it out to the city dump and let it go.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Re: breeding a wild caught brown rat to a normal breeder.

Personally wouldn't you can easily get good rats elsewhere for cheap to update blood lines and still be wayyyyyy safer.
    With kindest regards,
    Adin.
    ---------------------------------------
    1.2 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Champagne Ball Python
    0.1 Hypo Salmon BCI
    1.1 Guyana BCC

Thanks
    Best not. You wouldn't feed a wild rat to your snakes, why on earth would you breed a wild rat to your feeders? Having it in quarantine isn't going to mean much seeing as the health issues it will introduce to your feeders isn't going to be obvious except for possibly fleas. Internal parasites, various diseases, unknown though probably nasty temperament and an overall smaller adult size are just a few of the issues you're facing. I can't think of a single benefit to introducing a wild rat to an established colony. If you've put him in with any girls I would also gas and freeze those, but that's me being thorough.

Thanks
    I think it could be an interesting experiment but I would isolate it with only one female breeder. It may kill or fight with the domesticated rat. Just like wild dogs will sometimes kill domestic dogs.Also it just may be way to scared to mate at all. Also be aware the offspring may be way more aggressive in the long run so I wouldnt use them as feeders.
    Last edited by Miranda2; 05-05-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I wouldnt risk my colony.
    They are feeders but still deserve respect being animals in your care.
    With over 200 breeding females the cost of replacement is not worth the gamble.

Thanks
    Wow thank 's everyone!! He is still in a cage by his loans on, and I hadn't even considered putting him with a female for at least 2 months. I am fully aware of the aggression. The benefits I thought of was again fesh blood, and maybe bigger pinkies pups. As far as respect for them I have 10 breeders and they are considered pets in my house. The babies are feeders. Thanks everyone. Looks like he's getting dropped off by the inlaws >:-) mwahhhahahaha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nevmoy For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (05-11-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No benefit at all, there are other ways to introduce new blood if you feel compel to do so without introducing an aggressive animal into your colony.

Selective breeding when breeding feeders is very important you want strong, healthy rats with a docile nature.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (05-11-2015),sapphira80 (06-30-2015)

Thanks
    Ok i got rid of the rats i caught and i am still working on the rest. Im not keeping any. But just to play devils advocate.... what about size? There was a HUGE difference btween the ones i caught and the biggest males i used to have in my rat farm(i only dont have any more because i developed allergies).

I really also wanna that k everyone again for the answers. It's been for ever since I had to go on a forum page and you guys have been very awesome and nice.

Thank you

Thanks

Re: breeding a wild caught brown rat to a normal breeder.

i would have bred it to a female away from the rest just to see the outcome i have heard of other people doing it and getting crazy rats but the size was the same

13. The Following User Says Thank You to E71000 For This Useful Post:

nevmoy (05-10-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast