Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

2 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Cold pack needed??

We're looking to ship a hatchling BP from about 86F weather to 75F weather and was wondering if a thermafreeze cold cell (http://www.reptilesexpress.com/Produ...lls__CC01.aspx) is recommended for the 86F portion of the trip.

I'm assuming not, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks
    I assume those are the highs and not the lows?
    Ron

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not for those temps, you should know the temps in 3 locations origin, main hub and destination.

I only ever use cold pack when temps are above 90 in that kind of case I also ask the customer to pickup the animal at fedex to avoid necessary time spent in a hot truck.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Cold pack needed??

Cold packs are normally used for amphibian shipments or very cool weather species. For a ball python shipment in those temps, you won't need a heat pack nor cold pack.

Check out our FAQ on regulating the temperature of your package, we have an easy reference temp guideline chart.

Thanks

Yes, those are the highs. Thank you all for the advice. Deborah, how would I know the temperature for the main hub? It is my first time shipping and I'm trying to get it all in order. Sorry if it's a dumb question. We're going from 77030 to 95133. Also, do I need to do Delivery confirmation - Direct Signature?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxygirl View Post
    Yes, those are the highs. Thank you all for the advice. Deborah, how would I know the temperature for the main hub? It is my first time shipping and I'm trying to get it all in order. Sorry if it's a dumb question. We're going from 77030 to 95133. Also, do I need to do Delivery confirmation - Direct Signature?
    With those being the highs I agree no cold pack. Usually if it is hot enough to need a cold pack I will either not ship or make the person pickup at FedEx. As for the signature, that will get some people wound up. I will never ask for a signature ever. However if the person I am shipping to wants it to be signed for then I tell them I am no longer responsible for what happens to the snake. The reason being is this. I live in the country in northern WI. If FedEx gets here and I am upstairs or in the bathroom I won't hear him. He will wait for about 2 minutes and then take off. Now my snakes go back to FedEx. The terminal closes at 6 and the driver gets back at 7. Also the terminal is an hour away. Now I have no choice but to wait for delivery the following day. So my snakes are in a box for 2 days. Yes this happened to me and yes the snakes were fine. In really hot or cold weather though things could have been bad. However when the snakes are delivered I get a notification and then text the person it is going to so they know for sure the animal is there in case it got left at the door. They are told straight out by me they need to be available for the whole day to receive or the snake goes to FedEx for them to pickup.
    Ron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    With those being the highs I agree no cold pack. Usually if it is hot enough to need a cold pack I will either not ship or make the person pickup at FedEx. As for the signature, that will get some people wound up. I will never ask for a signature ever. However if the person I am shipping to wants it to be signed for then I tell them I am no longer responsible for what happens to the snake. The reason being is this. I live in the country in northern WI. If FedEx gets here and I am upstairs or in the bathroom I won't hear him. He will wait for about 2 minutes and then take off. Now my snakes go back to FedEx. The terminal closes at 6 and the driver gets back at 7. Also the terminal is an hour away. Now I have no choice but to wait for delivery the following day. So my snakes are in a box for 2 days. Yes this happened to me and yes the snakes were fine. In really hot or cold weather though things could have been bad. However when the snakes are delivered I get a notification and then text the person it is going to so they know for sure the animal is there in case it got left at the door. They are told straight out by me they need to be available for the whole day to receive or the snake goes to FedEx for them to pickup.

Makes sense! I know when we've received snakes we didn't have to sign. By the way I'm from northerish Wisconsin as well! (: Wisconsin Rapids, near Wisconsin Dells and Steven's Point. Thanks for the advice! I'll probably have a couple more questions as shipping grows closer. I've read guides on SYR and Reptiles Express but talking to people who are shipping ball pythons here and now make me feel more comfortable.

Thanks

You can find quick and easy weather reports during the booking process at SYR. There are buttons there for your origin and destination weather reports, as well as the two main FedEx hub weather reports, for Memphis and Indianapolis. Those are new features that launched with SYR 2.0 in March.

Using SYR, you are also able to add Live Arrival Insurance, the only insurance of its kind for any shipping provider. We are hear to help you with each step, and give you the confidence you need to ship safely and responsibly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    You can find quick and easy weather reports during the booking process at SYR. There are buttons there for your origin and destination weather reports, as well as the two main FedEx hub weather reports, for Memphis and Indianapolis. Those are new features that launched with SYR 2.0 in March.

Using SYR, you are also able to add Live Arrival Insurance, the only insurance of its kind for any shipping provider. We are hear to help you with each step, and give you the confidence you need to ship safely and responsibly.
    That is awesome that you have weather on there now. I haven't shipped since last year I try not to ship during winter. That will make life easier.
    Ron

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxygirl View Post
    Makes sense! I know when we've received snakes we didn't have to sign. By the way I'm from northerish Wisconsin as well! (: Wisconsin Rapids, near Wisconsin Dells and Steven's Point. Thanks for the advice! I'll probably have a couple more questions as shipping grows closer. I've read guides on SYR and Reptiles Express but talking to people who are shipping ball pythons here and now make me feel more comfortable.
    Awesome I live north of Chippewa Falls about one hour. I use to live more central before. I use to live a little over an hour north of Marshfield and have been in all your old stomping grounds many times. The first time shipping you will be a nervous wreck if you are anything like me. If you follow everything you read on SYR or RE you will be fine. I only use SYR but I am not saying you must. Just make sure to follow the rules also. Marking the box correctly, including an invoice listing the species, etc...The temps you are shipping in are perfect so you should be just fine.
    Ron