Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

1 members and 3,014 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

My baby has mites :(

I noticed my snake soaking in his water bowl, and decided to investigate further. I found a few mites in the water bowl, and saw one crawling across his face.

I have no idea how to treat these things safely. I'm pretty sure this question has been answered before, can someone point me to a good discussion of products that can help, and how to use them?

Thanks so much.

Catherine

Thanks

Thanks

Re: My baby has mites :(

I have had mites this year for the first time. Fortunately I don't have so many snakes as I used to and it has been less of a job to deal with.

After trying the chemical treatment repeatedly and not eliminating them entirely (getting rid of 90% is easy , getting rid of 100% incredibly more difficult) we have gone for a very natural method.

We have put a water bowl into each enclosure deep enough for the snakes to fully submerge themselves. This way the snakes can just drown the mites. During this process change the water every day. It is important to get the right size of bowl. To little water the snake cannot fully submerge. Too much and the snake displaces it making the enclosure and substrate wet, which can be another problem.

You can also physically examine the snakes and squash the offending mites.

And a final slightly more extreme method, get a cloth made damp with a harmless oil, such as olive oil and allow the snake to pass itself through the cloth. Mid you do not choke it - start from the neck down.

I am convinced this is healthier than using chemicals in your snakes enclosure. I know many people who have used chemicals and in the past i have too but i know for sure that water, physically picking them off and olive oil are safe.

Now I am going to run and hide behind the sofa and put on my flame proofs.

Thanks

Re: My baby has mites :(

There is actual "Snake Oil" that kills mites, I had to use it on my corn snake, avoid getting oil on the head though, ask a local pet or reptile store for help on that, also, replace ALL mulch/bedding and possibly avoid buying the same kind of mulch/bedding, wash all plants, water-bowls and so on in water and snake oil, hope this helps!