Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 828

2 members and 826 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snakes and your relationships

I'm thoroughly impressed by the amount of guys I have met/ know, who are totally grossed out that I recently got back into keeping snakes (At the moment just a single snake). I was casually seeing a guy whom I was really starting to like and when I told him about my little baby ball python he had a mini freak out and said that he didn't think it would work between us. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed but I ended up saying it was totally fine, I don't date [weaklings] anyway. Anyone else have reoccurring problems like this? I feel like there are more guys (and girls) out there that dislike snakes then I realized.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 04-26-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: language

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tash For This Useful Post:

BothropsOfBush (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    I've always had that problem with every woman i've ever dated however none said they wouldn't date me.. They just made me keep my snakes in the garage... and if i brought one in outside of the cage i was forced to keep ALL my snakes in my garage.. Hint Hint lol...
    1.0 Mojave Orange Ghost
    1.0 Lemon Pastel Bumblebee
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow
    0.1 Super Specter
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Fire YB Pewter

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    My husband and I both love our snakes!

Hot tip: bring your snake to the first date. If they love your scaly baby, they're a keeper, and if they don't, well now you know before you get too involved with a dumb jerk!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

anicatgirl (04-26-2015),Tash (04-26-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Snakes and your relationships

Quote Originally Posted by Tash View Post
    I ended up saying it was totally fine, I don't date [weaklings] anyway.
    Good for you!

Too bad you live in Oregon.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 04-26-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: quoted language

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hungba For This Useful Post:

Tash (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    I didn't have snakes when I met my husband, but I did have a pair of iguanas. My big male was a sweetheart and actually sparked an interest in reptiles for my husband, though he's more inclined toward lizards than snakes. He got himself a bearded dragon and doesn't mind that I've gotten into snakes, even if he doesn't really want to touch or handle them.

Pro tip; when trying to get your spouse or SO interested in your pets do not ever ask for their help cleaning. My husband names my snakes, listens to me excitedly gush over them, and sometimes peeks in on what I'm doing in the snake room, and that's enough to keep me happy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

Tash (04-26-2015)

Thanks

My first snake experience was when I was a kid and I had a little garter snake. I kept it a secret from my dad because he is petrified of snakes. The secret only lasted about three months before he finally saw it.

He let me keep it but pretty much continued to stay as far away as possible from it. What surprised me was how open minded he was over it. He started bringing home things from the store to put in its habitat, food etc. He'd ask me questions about what it needed all the time. Then finally one night I woke up and saw my dad standing at the other side of my room, in front of the snakes tank. I panicked a little cause I thought he was secretly getting rid of him while I slept but I stayed quiet and watched. There my father stood wearing a thick jacket and a pair of welding gloves holding this itty-bitty snake and saying, "see you're not so bad, you won't bite me."

I pretend to sleep and asked him about it the next morning. He denies it to this day. Lol I guess it's his open mindedness that I expect. You don't have to like them but don't shut out the idea that they are not as bad as you think so quickly.

(To this day he still takes off running if a little snake crosses his path while camping or fishing lol)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tash For This Useful Post:

lorrainesmom (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I have two female ball pythons and my boyfriend is totally ok with that. However, he does not handle, feed, or clean up after my snakes. I don't expect him to either. He loves looking at them and thinks they are pretty neat. I will be breeding in a few years and he is pretty excited about the projects I have planned. My boyfriend is not that bad because he did buy me a small chest freezer to keep my frozen feeders in.

My boyfriend has an 18 foot recreational boat that I don't care for but I do compromise and go out on it occasionally. We fully support each other with our different hobbies. Compromise is so important.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-26-2015),Tash (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    My ex husband was terrified of snakes, so while we were married, no snakes for me. (there's a reason he is an ex). My current husband, however, while not a huge fan, totally supports my keeping snakes, and even helps out with cleanings, and of disposing of any rejected rodents, which get fed to the hawk that lives in the trees behind our house.

I have wondered about the male/female ratio of snake fanciers. Here in NC, it seems like more men than women are snake fans. Whenever we meet new people, most of them don't really believe that the snakes are mine; just like they didn't believe that I was the one who owned the vintage bike.

My advice, any men who can't handle scaley pets, are not worthy of your attention!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lorrainesmom For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-26-2015),Tash (04-26-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am married to someone who was scared of snakes but who was fine with me getting one if that really made me happy, one turned into a room full and close to 10 years later while he is no longer scared it's not like he is into them either and that's fine with me.

I don't expect my husband to have the same hobbies and or interests I have, I just expect him to respect my choices.

Because some does not like snakes does not mean they`are not worthy of your attention, relationships don't revolve around one specific interest and because interests differs does not mean the relationship will not work.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 04-27-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

distaff (02-20-2016),IsmQui718 (03-03-2016),Montypython696 (04-26-2015),rlditmars (02-20-2016),Tash (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    I recently (4-ish months ago) began a relationship with this girl that I am head over heels for. When we first started dating I thought she would judge me or leave because of them. She's accepting of my hobby and although she is a little hesitant of them. She never knew there was such a hobby for snakes and reptiles in general, and she has told me that I've opened a new world for her. She also said that she wouldn't leave me because of them (so that's a plus!) She's not a huge fan of snakes, and within that 4 months has only been in the snake room once, and that is just to see how I kept them all. She's yet to see one, let alone hold one; but I told her I wouldn't pressure her into holding one and that I would let her come to me if she was ever curious. Norbert, my beardie on the other hand, she finds kind of cute, but she hasn't held him yet either.Baby steps I guess!
    I've got quite a few...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Montypython696 For This Useful Post:

Tash (04-26-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast