Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

0 members and 3,037 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ah, I see, thank you for clarifying. I didn't know the FHA preceeded the ADA. I often here people saying SDs require documentation, typically in reference to public access such as restaurants, so I automatically assume that's usually what people refer to when they say SDs require documents.
    Last edited by fireflii; 09-15-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    The prince fought valiantly.
    He slayed the dragon.
    The princess cried for days.
    She loved that dragon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    i see a lot of good information here that will help me out a lot on my next move (which may be as soon as next march)

Thanks

Re: No snakes allowed in new lease

Thought I'd chirp in with a little tidbit.

For those in Ontario, Canada, the Residential Tenancies Act specifically states that any provision in a residential lease which prohibits pets is void.

Of course, you still have to look at the applicable bylaws (of your municipality, and even your condo). Most Ontario municipalities only prohibit venomous snakes and non-venomous snakes over 3 metres (10 feet) at adulthood.

Thanks
    Can you have a pet goldfish?

I would keep him amd just be hush about it. The lease is in regards to pets that will cause property damage. I.e. poop and pee on carpets etc...

Dont ask dont tell

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: No snakes allowed in new lease

Quote Originally Posted by sneakysnake611 View Post
    Dont ask dont tell
    Don't cry when evicted.....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Many landlords opt to simply put a "no pets/animals" clause into their lease, because they've been burned or know someone who was.

Pets/Animals can cause a LOT of very expensive damage. One cat can cause you having to remove most of the flooring, trim, even part of a wall. If that cat "sprays" there are no cleaners in this world who will truly eradicate the stink. You have to remove everything that has come into contact, down to the bare concrete or studs. Which have to be painted with a barrier, before replacing the wall/trim/carpet.

Dog pee isn't much lovelier and when they start chewing trim/doors/walls..well, you get the pictures. Fish tanks can cause enormous water damage. To that apartment and possibly some underneath of it.

Rodents stink and chew.

Etc etc etc.

Its just easier for a landlord to simply not allow pets then to go through that headache.

Now, all that said, there IS something you can try. Prepare your case. Print out a short but thorough information sheet on Ball Pythons as pets. One which goes over how small and harmless they stay. That there is no "mess". That they do not cause damage. How docile and shy they are.

Then add information about the steps YOU take to house is correctly, meaning NO ESCAPES POSSIBLE !!! Make a big point of that and then follow them as well. A landlord has to think of the other tenants as well. Can you imagine a snake being "lost" and other tenants throwing a fit and moving to hotels, etc ? Expecting the landlord to foot the bill? Those are the things the landlords worry about.

Add information about the feeding and cleaning. Present your case and paperwork.

Show how responsible you are.

End it with how much you are actually attached to this animal and that you are a very responsible owner/keeper.

Offer to show your setup and snake and how "its run".

Ask for an exception and mention that if none can be had, you will have to find another place. Make sure you let the landlord know that you do not want to put them on the spot, but you love your animal and want to do right by it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by zina10; 03-16-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-17-2017),FNG (03-17-2017),Kira (03-16-2017),se7en (03-16-2017)

Thanks
    I straight-up asked my landlord (before getting my snake) if it would be okay if I got a ball python. She actually has ball pythons herself and told me that as long as it's a non-venomous snake a deposit isn't required.

Being honest is so much less stressful than having to worry about being caught.
    Last edited by Kira; 03-16-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-17-2017),Jeanne (03-17-2017),PitOnTheProwl (03-17-2017),se7en (03-17-2017),zina10 (03-16-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    One thing a ball python CAN do damage wise if it gets out: get stuck somewhere, die, and start to stink. If you're in an apartment complex it might not even stay in your apartment. Depending on how the infrastructure is connected, your snake could get over into a neighbor's place and cause a panic. Not good!

Thanks

Check your laws

I moved into my apartment a couple of years ago, and got my first snake right after that. The lease provided for cats and dogs, with extra fees of course. My apartment manager met one of my boys when I was out letting him play in the summer grass about 8 months after I moved in. She was not pleased. I took the time to look up my local laws, so I can now quote the ordinances in my city: Chapter 15-1, Subsection 15-1.1 and 15-1.2e, which state that I am clearly allowed to own my animal within city limits because he is non-venomous. That quieted her down right away. Plus the maintenance guys and the apartment supervisor (one of the big boys from corporate) were just over here and they each wanted to hold my snakes.
    I suggest knowing the ordinances in your city, and if the lease is vague, it's trouble. Almost all of my neighbors in my 24 unit building know about my boys, and they visit me when I bring them outside for grass time.

Thanks

Check your laws

I moved into my apartment a couple of years ago, and got my first snake right after that. The lease provided for cats and dogs, with extra fees of course. My apartment manager met one of my boys when I was out letting him play in the summer grass about 8 months after I moved in. She was not pleased. I took the time to look up my local laws, so I can now quote the ordinances in my city: Chapter 15-1, Subsection 15-1.1 and 15-1.2e, which state that I am clearly allowed to own my animal within city limits because he is non-venomous. That quieted her down right away. Plus the maintenance guys and the apartment supervisor (one of the big boys from corporate) were just over here and they each wanted to hold my snakes.
    I suggest knowing the ordinances in your city, and if the lease is vague, it's trouble. Almost all of my neighbors in my 24 unit building know about my boys, and they visit me when I bring them outside for grass time.
    How to prevent trouble:
    #1 install plastic sweeps under the front door and bathroom door. Keep your bathroom door closed.
    #2 find any heating or water holes and stuff them with generous amounts of steel wool.
    Done. Now they can't get out through the wall or drains.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast