Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,145

1 members and 2,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: is too high humidity bad? temporarily?

So Kite, if I have a ambient temp of 77.4 and my digital hygrometer is reading 68% am I in danger? Also, if I have different ambient temps in my tub at various locations by probe/digital thermometer but still have my digital hygrometer showing 68% is that cause for concern? Thanks.

Thanks

Here's a good one: I have small tubs because baby snakes. The hygro I have is an acurite which is rather large so the hygro part is right next to the water dish, and it reads at 50%-60% unless they spill water onto their aspen then it reads super high when it it's really still 50%. I can't really get a good reading, but I've found that spraying their lids works good. What small hygros are accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    And round and round we go. I never once said that you shouldn't measure temps or humidity. Obviously you need to use the tools that you have to remain within acceptable parameters. I was merely responding to the OP's actual question regarding fluctuations in INCREASED humidity that was TEMPORARY.

In a perfect world Jesus would descend from the heavens, we would all hold hands, sing kumbaya and dance in a circle around our snake enclosures, and temps and humidity would remain static and perfect.

Until this happens, all we can do is do our diligence to keep enclosure conditions as close as possible to ideal, and not have a heart attack when minor and temporary fluctuations occur.

And last but not least, Neanderthals did not drag their knuckles, nor were they of diminished intelligence as you yourself have suggested. They walked upright, fashioned tools and developed communal living. Likely they even devised methods for calculating relative humidity in their own environments, but had the foresight to understand that humidity need not be exact, for exactness was impossible.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

M.P.C (04-16-2015),Morganaberkana (04-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Smile Re: is too high humidity bad? temporarily?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    And round and round we go. I never once said that you shouldn't measure temps or humidity. Obviously you need to use the tools that you have to remain within acceptable parameters. I was merely responding to the OP's actual question regarding fluctuations in INCREASED humidity that was TEMPORARY.

In a perfect world Jesus would descend from the heavens, we would all hold hands, sing kumbaya and dance in a circle around our snake enclosures, and temps and humidity would remain static and perfect.

Until this happens, all we can do is do our diligence to keep enclosure conditions as close as possible to ideal, and not have a heart attack when minor and temporary fluctuations occur.

And last but not least, Neanderthals did not drag their knuckles, nor were they of diminished intelligence as you yourself have suggested. They walked upright, fashioned tools and developed communal living. Likely they even devised methods for calculating relative humidity in their own environments, but had the foresight to understand that humidity need not be exact, for exactness was impossible.
    Well, the interjection of a religious nature is unnecessary. We all have our own beliefs and don't need you to bring in religion into a forum solely about reptiles and their care. Wrong place and not warranted.

Thanks
    Ok ok, sorry to bring Jesus into it. I just thought that he would be able to appreciate a facetious remark.

Thanks

IMO high spike of humidity is fine. Even after drying out my cypress mulch and mixing it with coconut husk I get spikes of 90%. I use a visual PVC enclosure with a UTH. My snakes eat perfectly fine and have really good sheads. They hide all day and roam a little at night. I’m not a breeder I own two ball pythons. One male super pastel DG and a female Phantom super blade clown.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123