Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,623

2 members and 1,621 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

is too high humidity bad? temporarily?

When I change the bedding (Forest Floor Cypress) the humidity in my tank jumps to about 70 for a minimum of 2 days (because this stuff holds a lot of moisture). I'm already using as less as I can. The tank normally sits at 55-60 when the bedding drys out more. One more question, what if for some reason my lamp goes off since the heat from it drys out the humidity and the humidity shoots to like 90?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: is too high humidity bad? temporarily?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamrhh View Post
    When I change the bedding (Forest Floor Cypress) the humidity in my tank jumps to about 70 for a minimum of 2 days (because this stuff holds a lot of moisture). I'm already using as less as I can. The tank normally sits at 55-60 when the bedding drys out more. One more question, what if for some reason my lamp goes off since the heat from it drys out the humidity and the humidity shoots to like 90?
    The issue is an animal being kept WAY too dry or WAY too moist for long periods of time. A small amount of time isn't going to cause a problem I wouldn't think. In fact many people use humid hides where I'd gamble the humidity approaches 90-100% inside and they will stay in there for hours and sometimes days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Question, RH = relative humidity correct? relative to what?

It is a %. What is it a % of?

Failing to understand a basic husbandry requirement leads to issues. RH is just a number and meaningless with out the other end of the equation. To answer if you even have enough humidity or too much depends of what you are taking a % of. You need to know what the saturation point of the air is, to know that you must know the ambient air temps.

High humidity is not often an issue (unless it is actually wet inside) and there is a decent air flow. If the air flow is poor it is a huge issue.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-15-2015),Citrus (04-14-2015),Skiploder (04-13-2015)

Thanks
    Should not be an issue in this case, but you could lay the substrate material out on a small tarp or garbage bag, or even a cookie sheet if space is limited and just spread it into a thin layer and let it dry a bit before putting it in the cage. I've had to do this before due to getting some really wet bags of stuff.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    86-91F hot spot
    humidity 66%
    ambient temperture 77-81F

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

People need to do their own "simple" research,instead of wanting to be constantly "spoon fed". They could then answer their own questions.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/ghana/accra

Thanks

So im guessing if it's okay for a wild ball python it should be fine for a captive bred one. I won't worry about it when my humidity is 77%

Thanks
    In the wild after a rainstorm the humidity in a burrow or any hiding spot is likely to remain at a very high humidity. I always provide a humid hide and my snakes during shed will stay in there for multiple days by choice. 70 somethig percent humidity temporarily is fine. I would bet that herp keepers in the south probably maintain that humidity level most year round.

Also, really grcforce? Forums are about discussion and opinions being shared, not just reciting "facts." There's no set manual on how to raise herps. It's not productive to be Captain Hindsight and tell people what "should have happened."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

Adamrhh (04-13-2015),Albert Clark (04-15-2015),AlexisFitzy (04-14-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grcforce327 View Post
    People need to do their own "simple" research,instead of wanting to be constantly "spoon fed". They could then answer their own questions.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/ghana/accra
    To be fair weather conditions in the country of origin for herps is only a starting point when trying to dial in husbandry. There is a multitude of reptiles where if you only look at country of origin weather reports you'd end up killing the animal. There are many little micro climates that some herps come from that don't match the overall weather conditions of the country.

Everyone knows that caresheets and such are only the beginning point and some can be outdated or downright written by some ding dong who never even kept the species. Although not so much with BPs (information aplenty is out there on them) I don't see anything wrong with someone coming to ask a question when they clearly did do some sort of research otherwise they wouldn't have recognized the potential for a problem. I've often done my own research and then asked questions of people who have been keeping/breeding a species much longer than myself if something doesn't make sense or I just want clarification.

That's what this forum and all others like it are for. If there weren't people asking questions then the place would be a ghost town and all the people who like to share their experiences with other keepers would have nothing to talk about. Us herpers working together to help educate new ones are what helped this hobby grow as big as it did. Sometimes people forget that.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

Adamrhh (04-13-2015),Albert Clark (04-15-2015),Cohazard (04-14-2015)

Thanks
    My point exactly. We all know that care sheets need to be taken with a grain of salt and modified constantly for individual circumstances. We were all newbies at some point.

BPs aren't fragile animals and have evolved to thrive in oscillating weather conditions between wet and dry seasons. Maintaining a static environment is not necessary. So to the OP, you're all good. Don't worry about anyone that nit picks you. Get the basics down and stay close and you're doing fine.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

Adamrhh (04-13-2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast