Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

6 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

UTH Placement and Tub Concerns

Hi!

I'll be getting my first BP tomorrow at my local expo and I have decided on a tub enclosure. Because of the style of my tub, the UTH doesn't lie flat against the bottom. The probe for my thermometer contributes to this issue. Is that okay? Also, I've attached some photos of my set up, just to make sure that things are sound placement and fire prevention wise.
    P.S. Yes, I have a thermostat for my UTH and I am going to see if I can find a better humidity gauge tomorrow at the expo.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Only current problem I see ir should I say I dont see is the thermostat probe.....

Thanks
    It's there! I messed up in the photo and taped the wrong probe. It has been a LONG day. I fixed it though and have things back in order. Everything else looks good though?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The current models of zoo med pads are low density heaters. They simply do not get stupid hot like the old ones did, I would not worry overly about a fire, I have not had a new zoo med get over 100ºF. Use the little spacers to allow air to flow under the pad to prevent thermal blocking. This should be fine.

The probe also should pose little issues if the room is warm. If the room is cool you are likely to have cool end temp problems ambient temp issues and even too cool hot spots as the gaps will prevent the heat from penetrating the tub. this is the down side of tubs they heat fast but they cool fast and are thermally very poor insulators and lose heat as fast as you can put it in. This is why the room becomes a part of the temp controls for the tub.

Are you getting a baby snake? This is a large tub for a little one. I believe an experienced keeper can easily use a large tub but an inexperienced one is better with a smaller tub often a 'shoe box' type or a bit bigger.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    I have a couple of options as far as sizing. I got a smaller set up on the off chance that I would end up getting a baby- which it turns out that I did! I'm getting good temps and everything seems to be going smoothly. Thank you all so much for your help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MirLS For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (04-12-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If I were you I wouldn't even tape it to the box. Now if you want to take the tub fir washing you have to untape it. Make sure your thermostat probe is securely taped to the pad. Nothing wrong with just puttung the tub on top of the pad.