Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,394

3 members and 1,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    My boa constrictor is on an inexplicable fast since 9/8/04. I acquired her on 6/19/04. She ate on average every 4-5 days when not in pre-shed. On several occasions since 9/8, she has refused mice and gerbils. Last night, she refused a live weanling gerbil.

As a concerned keeper, I took her to the vet on 10/22/04. The vet's assessment was that she appears healthy, but does seem to have a lot of gas. She decided to treat my boa prophylactically for worms with 0.1% ivomec injected intraperitoneally in a pinky mouse at 0.06cc. I was to do this immediately, wait 2 weeks, and then repeat.

While at the vet's office, I was asked what I thought could have contributed to the condition. My temperatures and humidity levels were in check. I told her on 8/15/04, I switched substrate, from aspen to cypress mulch (landscape quality). I didn't freeze it or bake it first to eliminate the possibility of parasites. Possibly, I thought this could have something to do with it.

My vet agreed that the mulch could have some affect on snakes due to the chemicals used to treat the trees. She recommended that I switch to Astroturf or indoor/outdoor carpet. She also suggest the following: change water daily, mist with fresh water daily, switch from 10% bleach water as a disinfectant and use chlorhexidene instead. She also proposed I used UVA lighting for a few hours a day because the snakes she has seen just seem to do better.

I have completed the course of ivomec and complied with all of my vet's recommendations. My snake continues to refuse to eat. She is housed alone in a 36x15x17 all glass reptile enclosure. She has three hides: one on warm side, on one cool side, and one in the middle. My daytime temp gradient is 95 to 84 degrees, and the nighttime is 88 to 80 degrees. Since switching to the carpet as substrate, my relative humidity has dropped from 60% to 33%. (I assume this shouldn't be a problem because I am misting daily. However, today I added a second water bowl place under the heat lamp). She has 12 hours of light provided by UVA plant growing light; and 12 hours of darkness, controlled by a timer. She is kept in room away from people and other pets. Her enclosure stays clean. She has no obvious signs of illness, parasitic infestations, and is definitely not pregnant. She is not in pre-shed. Her last three sheds were on 10/28/04, 8/20/04, and 7/01/04, all complete in one piece with no retained eye caps or tail tips. She appears healthy, does not look to be losing a significant amount of weight, and is active at night.

I am still concerned. On 8/30/04, my ball python stop eating. This is not unusual for that species, especially since the seasons were changing. But my ball ate on 10/30/04, and my boa refuses! What's the deal?

Thanks
    I would cosider dropping the temps on the hign end a little 95* is a little warm adn that could be playing a part in not eating if he is stressed due to being to hot my boa temps are 91-82day 88-80 at night
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.