Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

1 members and 2,823 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Lightbulb Morph Guide - Python Reticulatus: With notes on locale / size origination

Python reticulatus (Reticulated Pythons) are available in a rising number of morphs and sizes. As we progress with our collections, we are able to both shrink the size of our favorite genetics, as well as change the look of some of the classics. There are genes that range from color changers / enhancers, to pattern changers / eliminators. With a basic knowledge of genetics and how they work, we can attain a quick grasp on what outcomes will come from each crossing.

Terms to know and Key Code
    Dominant: Only one copy of a gene is required for expression (Dom)
    Recessive: Two copies of the gene are required for expression (R)
    Mainland: The larger growing group of retics - Those who may max at or above 18' in length (M)
    Super Dwarf: The smallest growing group of retics - These may max around 8' for pures (SD)
    Dwarf: The middle ground between the two extremes - These may max around 10' and 16' (D)

Morph List

Clark Albino (R), (M)
    - Comes in three color phases: White, Lavender, and Purple
    - Only compatible with Clark Type 2 strain
    - Purple x Purple = Purple, Purple x White = Lavender, White x white = White, Purple x Lavender = Lavender and Purple, White x Lavender = White and Lavender, Lavender x Lavender = White, Purple, and Lavender

Amel (R), (M)
    - Similar to white phase, but extremely white and highly variable for paradoxing it seems
    - Not compatible with any other form of albino
    - Known as Clark type 1 strain

Indo / Caramel / Blonde (R), (M)
    - Compatible with Clark Type 2 strain IF it's Foulsham Caramel (sub-strain) - End result is an Orange Glow
    - Very light when born, but darker than purple albino as it ages
    - Form of T+ albinism (Clark strains are T-)

Pied (R), (M)
    - Ranges from low white, to high white
    - OG Pied was imported to Bob Clark
    - Newest Recessive on the market

Orange Ghost Stripe, (R), (D)
    - Brightest Orange Single mutation available.
    - Color starts out dark almost brown as a hatchling
    - Contains a dorsal stripe
    - A single copy of the gene is required to produce Cow retics (HOGS x Phantom) (HOGS = Het Orange Ghost Stripe)

Anthrax, (R), (M)
    - Removes all pattern from the back, usually has a darkened eye, and extends the rossets into lines down the side
    - Het offspring are referred to as Graniteback due to the diffused pattern observed with hets
    - Originated at Prehistoric Pets
    - Extremely variable in darkness or lightness

Genetic Striped, (R), (D)
    - Removes all patterns except a single dorsal stripe which can be full, or broken. The fuller the stripe, the more desirable
    - Het snakes can usually be observed by having a widened back pattern, and cleaner sides
    - Dominant when crossed with other pattern disrupters except Goldenchild (Visual Tiger Genetic Stripes can be hard to qualify)
    - Velvet is the result of breeding a Genetic Striped to a Tiger Het Genetic Striped. It is unknown why this is the way to produce it

Ghost, (R), (M)
    - Proven by Ben Rennick, it is a form of albinism that looks like a faded Purple that remains dark
    - Few individuals have access to these genes as of this time (4/2/2015)
    - Projects done include Ghost Genetic Stripe, Sunfire Het Ghost / GS - In the works: Double het Pied Ghost, Sunstripe Ghost

Anery, (R), (SD / D)
    - Found in both Super Dwarf and Dwarf Locals
    - Removal of red pigment
    - Key ingredient to producing snow retics (Anery Albino)
    - Notated usually by high silver sides, a greenish back, and golden or silver eyes

Titanium, (Dom), (M)
    - Removes all pattern and is bronze as a young snake, turning gold and brown and silver as an adult
    - Color enhancer as a het (Citron)

Tiger, (Dom), (M)
    - Extensions of the white dots on the side of the body
    - Cuts the line across the head in half, stopping just past the eyes
    - First mutation reproduced in the U.S. for reticulated pythons
    - Super form is viable (super tiger)

Platinum, (Dom), (M)
    - Color Enhancer, brightens to a bright yellow
    - Reduces pattern slightly
    - Also considered "het" for lucy
    - Super forms can be three phases: Ivory, Ultra Ivory, or Black-eyed Lucy (Black-eyed Lucy are weak, and usually die unless from the Lemon Glow Platinum line)
    - Albino Super Platinum are lethal around 1 year of age (Albino Ivory and presumably Albino Ultra (first one produced 2 weeks ago)

Sunfire, (Dom), (M)
    - Color Enhancer, Can become burnt orange, removes pattern on the last 3rd of the body melting rosettes away
    - Super form is known simply as Super Sunfire - this is an extreme reduction of side pattern, bringing forward more orange

Motley, (Dom), (M)
    - Cleans the pattern on the side leaving only the dorsal markings
    - Dorsal patterns typically more egg shaped in appearance
    - Lightens the head coloration
    - Super form is viable when crossed with another gene - but potentially weak in its pure super form
    - Random mutation that appeared at Bob Clarks facility

Golden Child, (Dom), (D)
    - Destroys all pattern leaving little to no rosettes, and only a black like down the center of the back
    - Dominant against any other pattern changer. Adding other mutations tends to only change color, but rarely effects pattern
    - Produced randomly in a clutch at NERD from a dwarf parent
    - Eyes change color overtime, with many turning silver as they age

Phantom, (Dom), (D)
    - Very similar to Orange Ghost stripe, but with less coloration
    - Typically have very well defined scales on their head
    - Key ingredient to producing Cows (Phantom x HOGS or OGS)

Tribal, (Dom), (M)
    - Similar to Phantom but with less patterning on the back
    - Typically has a bold T across the top of its head
    - Very few in the U.S. (less than 5)

Marble, (Dom), (SD)
    - New gene, very close in appearance to Phantom and Tribal, but with more contrast on back pattern
    - Only 1 person in the U.S. is currently working with Marble genes (Travis Kubes)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

anicatgirl (04-03-2015),C.Marie (12-03-2017),DrewAPicture (07-14-2018),influence (04-05-2015),JLC (04-03-2015),wibihihi (02-23-2016),Wish (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is really well done! Thanks! I stuck it to the top of the category.

Would you mind if I go back in and add some pictures? (Probably can't get to that until this weekend sometime) If you want to send me your own pictures, I would prefer to use those first, and I'll seek out others to use to fill in examples where we can.
    -- Judy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Kam (02-13-2021)

Thanks

Re: Morph Guide - Python Reticulatus: With notes on locale / size origination

Excellent!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    This is really well done! Thanks! I stuck it to the top of the category.

Would you mind if I go back in and add some pictures? (Probably can't get to that until this weekend sometime) If you want to send me your own pictures, I would prefer to use those first, and I'll seek out others to use to fill in examples where we can.
    Yes, I had planned to place photos of the genes I have personally to keep it easier - there are members on here working with stuff I am not and can hopefully pitch in - Rereading it this morning 1 mutation needs to be added - and Titanium is labeled Dom - and should be R. Felt we were missing this on the site, and its one of the more common questions folks email me regarding.

Cheers

Missing Mutation =

Jaguar (Dom), (M)
    - Enhancer and pattern reducer, very similar to a tiger het genetic stripe in appearance, with a bright yellow head, and brightly colored sides
    - Very little is known about the super form, and it has not at this time been proven
    - Originated from a mainland locale presumably
    Last edited by reptileexperts; 04-03-2015 at 01:49 PM.

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-03-2017)

Thanks

Snow?

I'm the proud new owner of a 50% SD 25% Dwarf retic. The male used to produce him came from a "snow" project and the female was 100% SD Anery. My little guy doesn't have any visible morphs himself. From what I could find, Snow seems to be the product of Albino + Anery. Is that correct? Googling provided interesting results, lol.
    Breeder and keeper of Ball Pythons, Dwarf & SD Retics, Burms, Carpets, Borneos, Bloods, GTP, and some colubrids.

Thanks

Re: Snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Reposado View Post
    I'm the proud new owner of a 50% SD 25% Dwarf retic. The male used to produce him came from a "snow" project and the female was 100% SD Anery. My little guy doesn't have any visible morphs himself. From what I could find, Snow seems to be the product of Albino + Anery. Is that correct? Googling provided interesting results, lol.
    Yes. Snow is anery and albino combined. Sounds legit on genetics. Most snow retics are 50% sd projects coming from f2 parents. Anery is a pure trait originating in superdwsrf and dwarf locales (Jampea). Neat snake and hope you are able to enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-03-2018)

Thanks

Re: Snow?

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Yes. Snow is anery and albino combined. Sounds legit on genetics. Most snow retics are 50% sd projects coming from f2 parents. Anery is a pure trait originating in superdwsrf and dwarf locales (Jampea). Neat snake and hope you are able to enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Cool deal, so he's possibly het anery and het albino. I just invested in one more retic who's Platinum Tiger het anery and possibly het albino too. Should be a fun pairing when they're old enough, so I can prove out the recessive genes. BPs are fun, but there are so many breeders out there. I really prefer just to buy and collect the ones I like. These little retics are harder to come by and so far a blast to keep. I may end up with a big collection of them, lol. I'd like to do more with the Platinum gene, maybe go for an Ultra eventually.

We really need a morph site for these retics and burms. Maybe I'll work on that as a side project. Like the worldofballpythons.com site. I've got some web programming knowledge. Hmmm. Does anyone want to join me on that project?
    Breeder and keeper of Ball Pythons, Dwarf & SD Retics, Burms, Carpets, Borneos, Bloods, GTP, and some colubrids.

Thanks

I was considering buying a hatchling super dwarf (43.75%) tiger retic. Would you guys have any guess of how big this snake would get?

Thanks
    Trying to type this as my baby is curled around my freehand so bear with me here lol...

When you say not compatible is it like BPs where Champaign x Champaign is lethal? Or that it simply does not produce either visual morph? (I may be thinking of the wrong BP morph btw, just recently came back to the hobby.)
    Last edited by Firebird; 09-26-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0.1 Platinum Purple Super Sunfire Retic
    1.0 Banana 66% Het Pied
    1.0 GHI
    1.0 Pewter Blast Leopard Spider

Thanks

Morph Guide - Python Reticulatus: With notes on locale / size origination

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Trying to type this as my baby is curled around my freehand so bear with me here lol...

When you say not compatible is it like BPs where Champaign x Champaign is lethal? Or that it simply does not produce either visual morph? (I may be thinking of the wrong BP morph btw, just recently came back to the hobby.)
    Not compatible means the strains will not produce a visual when crossed together. So if you cross an amel to a purple albino you end up with a bunch of normal looking babies that are double het for amel and purple albino.

Side note this list is pretty dated with a lot of New mutations out there
    Last edited by reptileexperts; 09-26-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast