Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,912

4 members and 2,908 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Started the war on mites

Sasha got mites. We are trying to find out how she got them. She didn't have the mites before I changed her substrate yesterday. So we are thinking that the mites were hiding in the bag of substrate. I got her quarantined and am going out to get some betaine for baths

Thanks
    Honestly, this is just one opinion, but I had incredible success with "DE flea reptile relief" by "natural chemistry". When I got loki he had a ton on mites, I picked some reptile relief up and sprayed down the snake and let him slither around in my hands. I sprayed the same in the entire enclosure very well and let sit. I also soaked all tank decor for an hour. it's been about 2 weeks since I treated this way and have not seen one mite either on the snake, or the enclosure. I was so impressed I picked up a bottle of their flea spray for dogs as a precaution with spring coming up

Thanks

Re: Started the war on mites

I read that most of the mite sprays don't work very well. I soaked Sasha in just water and about 15 mites came off. I plan on cleaning the entire tank out all the hides and branches. Everything and letting it sit for 3 weeks bleaching everyday or so

Thanks
    I'm just saying my experience with reptile relief, after I sprayed loki and let him slither in my hands a few minutes, then gave him that quick bath, I saw about 150 to 200 mites I would say all dead. That's what caused me to super spray the tank which produced another couple hundred dead mites, and like I said, 2 weeks, not one mite. Just my personal experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I too have heard really good things about that that reptile spray. Are you sure its snake mites? Or could it be wood mites just in the substrate? I think its rather rare to get mites from substrate, at least I never did. From what I have read, seems reptile expos/shows are the most common place to get snake mites, thus why I never go to them. Anyways, good luck and be sure to treat outside the cage too. If it is snake mites, they wont only be on the snake and inside the cage, they will be outside the cage in any carpet, drapes or furniture possibly.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

So our local reptile store doesn't haven any kind of mite prevention or stuff like it. So we bought some bentadine and soaked for about 15 minutes and then about 2 minutes I water. We saw about 20+ mites come off in just the water. So we are gonna try again later. She also seemed to enjoy the bath

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    The problem with only treating the snake is the cage and surrounding area will still have mites and eggs which means they will just hatch and infest the snake again. You don't have a Petco in your area? I know they sell the stuff. Its called Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray. You can also order it online at probably any reptile supply store. You can also buy Provent-A-Mite which I would imagine a reptile shop would stock as that stuff has been used a long time. Be careful with that stuff though and follow the directions perfectly as that stuff can be dangerous if used wrong.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that mites are species specific so wood mites are not an issue for your snake.

Also keep in mind that while you might not have seen any mites before does not mean a few were not present and it only take one female to lay eggs and to have an infestation 30 days later.

As for mite treatment they are very efficient when done properly and per direction. What will not do anything however is a betadine bath it will not accomplish anything aside from stressing your snake, if mites are black than you have snake mites not wood mites.

A bath regardless of what you will put in it will only drown adult mites however it will not do anything whatsoever to the eggs which means you will be dealing with a never handing story because the issue is not addressed properly.

Provent A Mites works very well and all you have to do is replace your substrate with newspaper treat the enclosure and be done, you may have to renew the process 2 weeks later but that's it.

Some people also have great success with Natural Chemistry Reptile Relief.

You can also make your own brew with Permethrin 10 however you have to know what you are doing as this could lead to severe neurological issues even death if not mixed properly.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-29-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

CrazyPiston (03-29-2015)

Thanks

We aren't jus treating the snake. We are cooking the mites out in the back yard. It's pretty warm here in Texas and we put a black trash bag over the top to keep it over 130ish degrees for about 2 or 3 weeks

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I just got done with mites. I did three things.

Took snake out of tub, put in container to soak. I don't normally soak most snakes, and this doesn't do anything long term, but it does kill some of the mites, and it gives me a somewhat useful place to put the snake while I'm doing the next step...

While snake is soaking, changed bedding, sprayed enclosure and new bedding with Provent-A-Mite. This prepares the enclosure to kill any eggs that the snake might be carrying or were in the enclosure.

Step three, took snake out of soaking, sprayed him with Reptile Spray and wiped the snake down.

Mites gone, have not come back.
    Last edited by 200xth; 03-29-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.