Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,885

6 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pics and things of my bp

So, quite recently Ive been absent. Sorry. But on a thread i did on another forum someone was absolutely astounded by shivas setup. Because its planted. So heres my reply and description since no one here has a planted anything ive noticed. Its upsetting.

So. Here is my reply on frogforum
    hope i inspire someone out there, feel free to ask questions!

After being asked how i keep real plants with my snake because it theyre destructive:
    MY REPLY
    Actually thats a funny story. Since snakes rely on belly heat to digest, there is no drainage layer. However, we do have to use a soil moisture meter to make sure im not too saturated. Like i usually rant, most of my uva needs are met by 56-65k full spectrum grow bulbs. Uvb, and an infared. But, like in the joshs frog moss thread, a 56k GE full spectrum Color Effects bulb (twisty) works also for mild uva. The soil is bioactive Do It Yourself we found on another forum. With some All natural orchid bard soil mixed in. Mist lightly 2x daily. And walla. I use the ultrasonic cool mist experiment too which helps alot with the moss.
    The soil compacts as the snake roams. She may be a wee dirty for a day or 2. Lightly pack it with your hand.
    In the tank is:
    Ivy: ground plant, any light, high water consumption. Handles slithering and trampling very well. Can be purchased in a veriety of shades/colors
    Pothos: come on now, if it dies ill poop myself. Any light, can be hung anywhere on anything, broken stems root anyways. Personally i hid my main cluster behind a large fake nat geo stump(cool hide) it keeps her from the main cluster...
    Croton(the big plant): thick stemmed, flexible large leaves. We tested this before trying it, ya can grab the leaf mid way and push it straight down. Takes effort to break them. This needs to be near a wall. Maybe a piece of fake vine or suction cups with string? We have a foam background so i made staples, picked a leaf, and pinned it around the narrow/stem area to the background. Mind you, if tubby goes ham, im putting the staple back up in the morning. The plants roots are doing good so theres not much issue.
    The long grass: name unknown but its a house plant. It just grows like nuts and doesnt care about trampling. Id recommend this for large frogs as well. Its impressivly durable.
    The moss: ugh all outdoor harvested. 10:1 bleached, then soaked in hot water. Some soil left on it. Its best to place a piece of bark under any moss. The moss will root and process the bark. Your humidity is key to the moss. Our fogger grows it like a G. Regular misting on the moss if you spray. Cool enough we have a few woods plants growing out of the moss as well. Were not sure what they are besides some grasses and forest floor covering plants, which i think is an awsome thing.

Well heres a ton of pics!

On a cell phone... sweet god my thumbs hurt

It would have killed me to do all that over again. But hope its good knowledge for someone out there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Mclaughlin For This Useful Post:

se7en (03-21-2015)

Thanks
    Here a few more

Thanks
    Wow your BP viv looks nicer than my PDF's viv! Nicely done.
    Cheers, Jeff

5. The Following User Says Thank You to C2tcardin For This Useful Post:

Kris Mclaughlin (03-21-2015)

Thanks
    We were guna start into PDF keeping. Already have 10 firebellies, 2 red eye tree frogs, my baby pacman, 5anoles and 2 longtails. Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    this is beautifully done and it looks amazing!!!

Thanks
    I always admire peoples planted bioactive enclosures and yours is a stunner. Good job!

Thanks
    This is super neat! I dig it. I have questions though!!! Deep cleaning obviously isn't a thing, as would kill plants. How do clean up after snake when it does its business?
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Very nice display tank. Whats the size of the enclosure? It looks awesome but I bet its a bear to maintain.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    well damn

that looks great

Thanks

Re: Pics and things of my bp

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Mclaughlin View Post
    We were guna start into PDF keeping. Already have 10 firebellies, 2 red eye tree frogs, my baby pacman, 5anoles and 2 longtails. Lol
    They are harder than anything else we've done before, had three die on me suddenly over the winter and couldn't figure out why. Have to say my preference is to stick with BP's and Cresties. We had Anoles, 3 stripes and skinks too but lost interest in them, plus they live here in the carolinas so we only have to go outside if we want to see more of them.
    Cheers, Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast