Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,739

2 members and 2,737 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question on mites

My daughter works for petco and she told me that two of the new hamsters they just got have mites. they have been isolated in another room. Are the mites that affect mammals the same that affect snakes. When she got home i had her shower and run her clothes through the wash. She normally doesn't go near the isolation room, but has been extra careful not to even go in the room. Am i being a little paranoid, or should i get some prevent a mite.

Thanks
    Quite often they can be but there are so many mites that it is hard to tell you exactly what the hamsters have. Quite often, mites on prey is how mites get onto reptiles in the first place.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Question on mites

Quote Originally Posted by blue roses View Post
    should i get some prevent a mite.
    You should always have both the Provent-A-Mite and the Reptile Spray around.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lunasjy View Post
    Quite often they can be but there are so many mites that it is hard to tell you exactly what the hamsters have. Quite often, mites on prey is how mites get onto reptiles in the first place.
    No this is not correct. Ophionyssus natricis is a snake mite, it can reproduce only on snakes. http://vpi.com/publications/the_life...of_snake_mites

I would be very cautious of P-A-M it is a potent poison and should be treated as a poison. In many places (growing list) it is banned for one reason or another. It works but is capable of harming snakes and other pets (and children) as well. make sure for follow all the precautions for it.

The other thing to remember is Permethrin breaks down to a phenol (the oil in cedar wood is also a phenol) that should be cleaned away roughly one month after use. It is not easily water soluble so alcohol is best.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have battled mites twice and won, and don't care for a third go-round. If I worked at any of the big box pet stores like Petco or PetSmart I would spray myself down with OFF before I drove home, and when I got home I would immediately take a shower and throw my clothes in the laundry.

Thanks

I had a mite out break out in my Quarantine Room 2 months ago , my first experience of with the little Devils. I discovered that not only are they a pain I decided to treat both rooms holy cow what alot of work this turned into but I persevered with Reptile Spray and white paper in the tanks and its been 2 months and I followed the Protocol here . Everything is looking good and Thid weekend I will be Spraying the Aspen Bedding out side and treated with PAM let it completely Dry out and I hope I never have to do this again between the snakes and the cleaning it was alot of work, but I won the Battle but Im on the look out for Black looking spots in the water dishes. I felt so bad for my babies having to go thru this but better safe than sorry. I have read all the stuff on PAM and I feel safe just follow the directions to the T.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

I never did figure out the source Did I bring them home or we're they on my snake that was in Quarantine, either way I learned mites can move pretty fast and that's why I treated both rooms and all my Snakes. I went thru a Gallon of Reptile Spray as I used that to also clean the Walls And the Floors in the whole house and I learned mites cost alot of money. I Throw out Everything that could be replaced and I Sterilized All the water bowls with Bleach and the dishwasher at 140 temperature. Im so happy that this forum was here for me to read real life mite stories, and along with this my Hubby has ad weekly Chemotherapy after a surgery on Prostate Cancer now it will be sweet when that cancer treatment works so far so good with Hubby and my Snakes.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Here are a few pictures

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

My little Hog Nose has an attitude he's so cute its all show.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58