Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

2 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Need advice on giving refunds.

Ok, I'm still very much a noob at this, but I have begun selling some snakes and I'm not sure how to handle this. I sold someone an adult male bee, and I sold it as unproven and off feed due to the breeding season. I warned the person that he might not eat for 2-3 months, and told them what he had been feeding on. At the time of the transaction the person was ok, with this. Then about 2 weeks later I get a call from them telling me he won't eat for them. I reminded them that he was sold as being off feed, and went through their husbandry with them as well as what and how they were trying to feed him. Found out they were trying to get him to eat every couple days, corrected them on that, advised them on what items had been most successful for me when feeding him. Now yesterday I get a call from them, and have nearly the same conversation with them again. This time the snake's in shed. And the customer is asking for a refund. Now at this point customer has had the snake about 5 weeks, maybe 6. And I'm getting the impression that the customer didn't really have any experience with snakes being off feed. So I told him that no, I would not give a full refund since the snake was sold as healthy and off feed, but if he want out of the situation I would give him a partial refund. So my question is, should I just offer this guy his money back, did I just handle this all wrong, or am I on the right track? I'm getting the impression this guy doesn't have much experience with ball pythins at all, so I almost wonder if it would be in the snakes best interest to just get him back. Just plain confused at this point.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    You did nothing wrong. He went into it with obvious inexperience, you tried to help him out and now he wants out. In my opinion, it is generous of you to offer a partial refund!

No need to cater to his wants, you told him all he needed and you sold it exactly as you should have
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    You described the snake correctly and honestly, and it's been over a month. IMO you owe the buyer nothing except advice at this point.

If you want to be nice you could take the snake back and give a partial refund, but since it's been with an inexperienced keeper you need to be prepared for it to be dehydrated, sick, etc.

Personally I would take the snake back and do the partial refund IF we were meeting face to face and I could verify the snake was hydrated, not wheezing or blowing snot bubbles, etc. before money exchanged hands.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Need advice on giving refunds.

I don't think you did anything wrong. You went above and beyond what many people do when selling something. You accurately described the BP, made them aware he was off feed (which anyone who has owned bps knows they will do from time to time especially during the winter months) and even tried to ease their concerns by providing assistance. As was mentioned above, you could offer a partial refund barring the snake is still in good shape, however since 5-6 weeks has passed since the transaction you are in no way responsible for any issues with the animal.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I'm in line with others.

For the sake and health of the snake you need to get him back ASAP!

However, you are dealing with the ignorant. I agree with BCR229, you should check the snake's health before giving any amount of refund, preferably partial.

Best
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Need advice on giving refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
    Ok, I'm still very much a noob at this, but I have begun selling some snakes and I'm not sure how to handle this. I sold someone an adult male bee, and I sold it as unproven and off feed due to the breeding season. I warned the person that he might not eat for 2-3 months, and told them what he had been feeding on. At the time of the transaction the person was ok, with this. Then about 2 weeks later I get a call from them telling me he won't eat for them. I reminded them that he was sold as being off feed, and went through their husbandry with them as well as what and how they were trying to feed him. Found out they were trying to get him to eat every couple days, corrected them on that, advised them on what items had been most successful for me when feeding him. Now yesterday I get a call from them, and have nearly the same conversation with them again. This time the snake's in shed. And the customer is asking for a refund. Now at this point customer has had the snake about 5 weeks, maybe 6. And I'm getting the impression that the customer didn't really have any experience with snakes being off feed. So I told him that no, I would not give a full refund since the snake was sold as healthy and off feed, but if he want out of the situation I would give him a partial refund. So my question is, should I just offer this guy his money back, did I just handle this all wrong, or am I on the right track? I'm getting the impression this guy doesn't have much experience with ball pythins at all, so I almost wonder if it would be in the snakes best interest to just get him back. Just plain confused at this point.
    Well is every thing you told them ay the time of purchase in writing ? Especially about the animal being off feed, breeding season, and that he may not eat for a extended time? That is going to be important. It sounds as if they heard what you said but didn't listen very well. As a business man , I am from the old school that "the customer is always right" thinking. Sometimes that will backfire on you. Case in point, here we are. You informed them, they didn't pay attention but none of us want to lose customers. It really is a tough decision. As far as the bp is concerned I know he will be better off with you. I would definitely meet face to face and explain your dilemma about considering even any type of refund! In the end it boils down to what the receipt and paperwork says not verbal exchanges unless they were messages and or conversations that were recorded. Stay in peace and not pieces. Good luck.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing I can guarantee that the animal is feeding for me consistently but I can't guarantee that he will feed for the customer the majority of the time it will but sometime it doesn't in that case I will help and troubleshoot the issue and usually if they listen it will solve the problem.

As far as guarantee I also only offer 3 days if you are not satisfied you have 3 days to return the animal for full refund.

I would not offer a partial refund I can see a partial refund for something like injury not being disclosed etc but not for feeding issue (we all know what to expect BP).

If I was to make an exception because sometimes with some people it's just not worth it, I would make a full refund once the animal is shipped back, the issue here is the length of time that went by, I would not want to take back an animal that has been in someone's care for that long.

The issue is not deserving of a partial refund.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Re: Need advice on giving refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The issue is not deserving of a partial refund.
    I agree but my response was more along the lines of take the snake back in exchange for a partial refund, not issue a partial refund because the snake isn't eating, and the buyer keeps the snake. All that of course is if the snake is outwardly healthy. If the buyer whines about not being refunded in full, explain that the difference is to cover the cost/hassle of doing a full QT on the animal since it's lived in someone else's collection for several weeks.
    Last edited by bcr229; 03-18-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses everyone. It makes me feel more like I'm handling this properly. I'll likely still offer the guy a partial refund, mostly just because that just how I am and I'm just as concerned for the snakes health as anything else. This was just a frustrating situation to be in.
    Last edited by Darkbird; 03-19-2015 at 06:25 AM.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.