Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,026

2 members and 3,024 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    I want to put in a small light to help the plants (even though they're good for low light). Any suggestions?

I've read some stuff about UVB lights and how that might help. I'm pretty sure cresties don't need a full spectrum light, but would that be benifical during the daytime?

Also, how high of a wattage should I aim for? The house will not go below 65 at night (acutally I think I set it to be 68 since I got herps), and it doesn't go above 80 in here.

The book I've got says no more than 40 to 60 watts, but I'm thinking that might be too high. There are a bunch of 25 watt lights, but I'm a bit confused on which one I should get. Some of them say that they are day lights, but there's no info on the box.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i have a hood and a flourescent plant light that i am planning to use once i move my cresties over into their larger setup. since the light is flourescent it shouldn't put out too much heat, but that is something i will just have to test once i get it set up since it is plenty warm in the room already--but the amount of heat put out will be significantly less than with an incandescent bulb. the bulb itself does have uva and uvb but not as high amounts as some bulbs made specifically for reptiles--which also makes it a cheaper bulb. if you need a little extra heat (which it doesn't neccesarily sound like you do) than a low wattage incandescent bulb would probably work fine, otherwise i'd go for flourescent.
    - Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I use fluorescent only right now, as the incandescents I tried always resulted in too warm a hot spot for them. They didn't breed until I switched, which reinforces to me that they're happier with the temps. I wouldn't necessarily use a light, but the geckos really seem to like the real plants and the plants are happier with the light.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    sorry late reply I use power compacts for my dart tanks that I have plants in, nice because you can wire them remote ballast and keep the heat to a minimum
    here is a good place for them http://ahsupply.com/
    For Those Who Fought For It,
    Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know