Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,150

1 members and 2,149 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

how to find a good vet?

hey again, i like to map out everything before im going to think of buying my ball, and what ive been thinking about next is a vetenarian. i have a number of questions, here we go and thanks

1. what do i go in to a reptile vet for? only things like RI's or other serious alments?
    2. does anyone know how to find a good reptile vet?

note: i have a great vet my family has know for a long time, but he deals with almost exclusivly mammels it seems so i wanted to find someone to be more fit for reptiles and snakes.

thanks for all the help, you guys are great!
    Last edited by xyzpdq75; 03-06-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

anicatgirl (03-06-2015),xyzpdq75 (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Also ask around at your local herp clubs. They can give you names of good vets that people there have found as well. the ARAV list is decent as well but since you don't actually have to pass any kind of tests and just need to pay yearly dues to get the membership, I can see it becoming a selling point more than an actual "meaning". I know as an automotive mechanic, the ASE tests didn't necessarily mean you knew more than a guy who didn't have the ASE certification, it just meant you were good at taking tests. But also those certifications required tests to be passed, not just a monetary amount be paid. Of course I could be way off on the ARAV but I would still say check with your local herp club as they would know from first hand experience.

Vets can be needed for anything from an RI to surgery. Luckily I've only had to see my vet for RI in my bearded dragon(knock on wood). Generally most vets who see mammals like dogs and cats don't see reptiles or amphibians as they need a whole different set/size of tools and equipment to deal with that, or so I've been told.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-06-2015 at 06:52 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

xyzpdq75 (03-08-2015)