Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,121

1 members and 3,120 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ok, where to start...I bought this snake last Saturday at the Reptile Expo for my son. He ate on Sunday. He was very docile and loved exploring. The lid is a locking screen lid but the screen wire was ripped and cut so I cut the piece out and put new screen wire on it (since the lid locked) Well, around the edge where I added the new screen, I ran strips of Duct tape to make sure all gaps were sealed closed. Then I ran a strip on the inside, facing outside to seal any gaps. I had no idea that he would or could work his way under the tape! This morning I found him stuck to the tape from head to tip of tail! I took my time and removed him from the tape. A small part of clear skin came off at the base of the tail but none of his actual skin came off. His mouth was stuck in a fashion that his jaw was gapped open (for who knows how long)His mouth is now closed and he can move his head slightly. From about 1/4 way from his head down, he can move...the last 3/4 of his body aren't moving, or responding to touch.At first, I thought he was dead.
    I placed him back in his tank (with all the tape removed!!!!!!!) and covered him in the shavings. Being a rehabber I know that stress is the #1 killer (just ahead of bad moms that don't think things through) My son is going to be so upset with me. I spent an hour crying like a baby.

I do not want to be yelled at or talked down to..just some advice on what to do now. We learn from our mistakes and yes, this was a big one. I feel worse than you can EVER imagine!!! I even called my mom and asked her to start a prayer chain(LOL-for a snake) but it's my last hope right now.

My son is 9 and will be devastated. I called our local petstore and they don't have ANY corn snakes in stock or I would be on my way now to get a new one. I don't think this one is going to make it and my son will blame me, even though I had good intentions.

So, any advice? Should I go ahead and euthanise him? I don't want him suffering. Or, should I wait and see? I just don't know what to do....
    In a "perfect world" animal abusers would be shot on site!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know others have had to deal with the effects of their snakes getting stuck on duct tape, so hopefully they will chime in here. Sorry, I can't be of help other that to ask if there is a reptile vet in your area you can call/visit?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    My daughters king snake got out in the house, we found him in the basement attached to duct tape, my father and brother peeled it off him real carefully, luckily he did not lose any skin or scales. We got lucky. But I believe that had he not gotten stuck on the tape, we would have never found him again, my daughters room is on the 2nd floor of the house, nearest I can figure, he went through all the crawl spaces and ended up down there. He is still alive and OK.

It may be your corn is just stressed or just plain wore out from struggling with the tape, I would take him to the vet cause it does sound like he may have had a worse time or been attached to the duct tape longer than ours had.

And- as far as your son, I too have kids so I know where you are coming from. When you have to explain to him what happened, just be honest and tell him that you will understand if he is mad at you, but you did not mean for this to happen. Kids are more forgiving than we give them credit for. They too realize accidents happen to.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Check your private messages.
    Nadia

Owned by:

0.1 Ball Pythons "Isis"
    1.0 Blood Pythons "Anubis"
    1.1 Italian Greyhounds "Lance and Mysti"
    2.0 Balinese Cats "Phoenix and Ninja"
    1.0 Husbands "Christian"

Thanks
    He died right after I posted this. I have already driven 85 miles and bought one identical to replace him. The new one is only 1 1/2 inches shorter!! Duct tape is GONE!!!!!
    Thanks guys!

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is possiable that in trying to get free he broke his back. I have seen a RTB that had the same thing to the letter happen to it. Good luck with the new guy and don't ever be afraid to ask. People around here are more intrested in seeing that your animals get proper care than talking down to you
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    well i must say your a good mom. driving all that way for a new corn for your son. and sorry to hear of your lose
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

Thanks
    hey my ball python got into some duct tape like 3 weeks ago and doesn't move around a whole bunch and hasn't eaten, stays really cold. Is that the same as how ur corn snake was acting? plz msg back?
    42" in Ball Python--****z

Thanks
    Candy was REAL cold. Even after I put him on the warm spot (above the UTH pad) He moved his head, that's about it. I think he did something to his spine trying to wiggle off.

Thanks
    Aaww, poor thing. :cry:
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast