Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

1 members and 3,164 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Raised scales, red belly?

Hello all! I am new BP owner, having just purchased my first about two weeks ago. She is six years old, and appeared to be very healthy when I purchased her. However, I have noticed that the scales of her underbelly have started to look ragged/raised and sound 'crunchy' when I handle her. Her belly is also starting to take a pinkish hue, along with what looks like substrate or discoloring in-between some scales. I read that the coloring could be just that she's going into shed, but the raised scales are making me worried. They seem almost brittle. I don't see any signs of shed, like cloudy eyes or color as of yet either. Opinions on what this could be, and how I can help would be greatly appreciated!

I have her in a 20 gallon long, with eco-earth and bark as a substrate. Under heat mat, large bowl, and hide with damp moss. I mist her twice daily, getting the humidity between 30-50% and letting it dry between.

Thanks
    Raise her humidity...she's about to shed.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Raised scales, red belly?

Bump up the humidity right away. Petco and petsmart and petland all sell the versa top. You need one for a 20 gallon tank and that will alleviate the humidity requirement. It is a folding dual sectioned top that comes with a plastic attachment that will cover the top of the tank. Just put some holes in the plastic part to facilitate the oxygen exchange. It works very well in raising the humidity. It also raises the temp in the enclosure. Good luck. Stay in peace and not pieces. A.C.

Thanks

Re: Raised scales, red belly?

Bump up the humidity with a new top or cover most of it with foil. What are you using to measure humidity? Oh, and is your UTH on a thermostat or a lamp dimmer?