Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,201

1 members and 3,200 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pied seems to be starting a hunger strike.

So my male Piebald, who was recently weighed at 956g, seems to be starting a hunger strike. He ate a small F/T rat 4 weeks ago on 1/25, I offered two weeks ago per his normal schedule and he refused. Today I offered again and it would appear he is turning his nose at it. I'll leave it in his tub overnight and see if he eats it later. I've never had one go off feed before, I'm guessing it's customary to just wait another 2 weeks to his next scheduled feeding time and try again. The question I have is do you continue this pattern until they feed again even if it's many months later? Or do you try other tactics like offering a live rat at the next feeding interval or switching to mice?
    What do others do?
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks

Re: Pied seems to be starting a hunger strike.

just keeping offering on a 2 week schedule. Hunger strikes can last months, I had an older male go 8 months a few years back with minimal weight loss. Keep an eye on the weight.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

200xth (02-24-2015),C2tcardin (02-24-2015),ECechoHO (02-25-2015)

Banned
    Thanks
    ^^^ Comment up there hit it right on the nose, you can't tell nature(captive or wild) when its time to eat/replenish its nutrients.. when mine did that i just let him starve a while, until i placed the rat in the tank and he took it before it hit the bottom of tank...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Is there any point in leaving a thawed rat overnight? Once its temp drops the snake is not going to eat it.
    Sent from my WindowsPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Golem View Post
    Is there any point in leaving a thawed rat overnight? Once its temp drops the snake is not going to eat it.
    Sent from my WindowsPhone using Tapatalk
    I leave prey in the cage, since my snake no longer strikes - on top of hide where heat source (in my case a ceramic lamp) keeps it warm(er). I've also taken steps to enclose the glass sides of its tank with construction paper and foam insulation, so the snake has more privacy and feels more secure.
    1.0 Purebred Python regius - "Percy"
    0.1 Lampropeltis getula holbrooki/splendida - "Olympias"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Pied seems to be starting a hunger strike.

Quote Originally Posted by C2tcardin View Post
    So my male Piebald, who was recently weighed at 956g, seems to be starting a hunger strike. He ate a small F/T rat 4 weeks ago on 1/25, I offered two weeks ago per his normal schedule and he refused. Today I offered again and it would appear he is turning his nose at it. I'll leave it in his tub overnight and see if he eats it later. I've never had one go off feed before, I'm guessing it's customary to just wait another 2 weeks to his next scheduled feeding time and try again. The question I have is do you continue this pattern until they feed again even if it's many months later? Or do you try other tactics like offering a live rat at the next feeding interval or switching to mice?
    What do others do?
    What was he doing prior to the hunger strike? We're you breeding him, was he sick, did you change his enclosure or anything? You know 4 weeks really is not a long time to miss feedings or refuse meals. Disappointing? Yes. Imo, I would double check the husbandry and offer live at the next scheduled feeding in two weeks. Especially if the husbandry is on point. Maybe he wants to breed? 956 grams is a pretty good weight. Is he in a rack where he can smell breedable females? Either way if it continues and you think it's becoming problematic visit www.darkmanreptiles.com On his face page is how he deals with "problem feeders". Be patient and stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Also, if you haven't already switch to cypress mulch. It's written in some articles as a beneficial to getting reluctant feeders to resume feeding and poor feeding bps to feed better. Colin Weaver of East Coast Reptile Breeders has a article titled "the enigmatic ball python appetite ". Web is ECRB. Com Check that out as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

C2tcardin (03-10-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks, I have a buch of cypress mulch so I could easily try your suggestion. He still hasn't eaten since January and this past Sunday was his regularly scheduled feeding date so I tried again and he refused. A few thoughts, before he went off food he was a good aggressive striker, now when I present a heated Rat and do the ole zombie dance he runs back into his hide. I may try the black construction paper trick to the front of his tub and see if he's suddenly nervous. I don't have any breeding size girls yet, they are all subadults, and the husbandry has been fine. I'm thinking that perhaps this weekend I'll pick up a live mouse for him and see if it gets his attention. I have another that will only take live mice so maybe he's becoming picky too.
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks

My spider ball has not eaten since october and he's been so active in his tank but sometimes he's "dead" for few days then become active again...
    I tried to feed him last week, he did not want to eat and seems scared of the rat..(small rat like little bigger than pinkie)

Thanks
    So today I was at Petco getting a mouse for my Normal who just will not eat f/t rats and decided to grab a few extra mice. Then I checked on the Pied and he had his head out of his hide in ambush mode so I though it couldn't hurt to toss one of the mice in and within a Minute I caught the tell tale death squeak. I gave him a little while and then checked on him and he was downing the mouse, once he finished I tossed in the other and he took that one too. Guess I have two picky eaters now which sucks because Petco gets $4 each for these darn things. Oh well I'm not going to complain as he's eaten at least.
    Cheers, Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast