Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,762

1 members and 2,761 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    It looks like your light is way to harsh. You will need to figure out a way to soften the light. With a bigger animal like the one pictured. You may want to think of other solutions away from the light box/tent thing. You can get off camera lighting that will work with your cameras built in flash.. A small speed light flash with an optical slave option/sensor. A 24 or 32 inch umbrella.. no not one for the rain.. And a light stand to hold it all. Id go with the bigger umbrella.. You can setup your nikon to trigger the flash using commander mode. Or you can spend the extra cash and buy a radio trigger and receiver.. trigger would go in the hotshoe on top the camera, the receiver would connect to the flash.. This wouldnt give you TTL ability with the flash, but it would allow you to at least shoot in manual.. Set a shutter speed to 1/200 ISO to 100, then a middle 5.6 to 8.0 aperture. Then the power on the flash you can raise and lower until you get the proper exposure.

My basic setup is a roll of white or black paper for my background, on a small background stand.. Then I use an Alienbee B800 light on a boom stand. That allows me to put the light directly over the top of my background. Then I attach a 24 inch beauty dish to the light. Then there is a diffusion sock that goes over the beauty dish to help soften the light. I then use a set of Paul C Buff Radio triggers to trigger the light. I use a Fujifilm Xpro2 and mostly the 18-55mm lens to shoot with. I shoot Raw, auto whitebalance. ISO 100, Aperture of 100, and a shutter speed of 1/125. I want to say the flash power is normally at 1/4 or 1/8.

With that setup I took this shot last night. My whitebalance is a bit off, I can see a bit of blue tint in the bottom of image on the white. But then again that could be my monitor.
    BP-18-0022-4 by Shannon Donoho, on Flickr

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: How to Get A Great Snake Pic?

Quote Originally Posted by SCWood View Post
    I love breaking out my Nikon D3100 to photograph my animals but I can never get the perfect picture. I don't know how to create a solid background with enough light and space to capture the animals beauty while trying to keep them still lol any helpful tips?

0.2 Normal
    Well .......

A good tip I was given was to get the snake in the right situation then cover it with a bowl or a hide and leave it for a minute or so ... don't walk away .. just wait .. then camera at the ready just lift the hide off slowly ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12