Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,010

1 members and 2,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So far Willow is settling in good. He's eating and pooping and still trying to make frog sounds.

Just got a few q's:

How often do you handle your cresteds? Are they more of a display animal?

Do they leave urates like my snakes? I find poop daily, but nothing like urates (I think I did the first day with some poop) so I didn't know if it were more liquid with cresteds.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    hey tiger, on the poop ? , mine vary some a little runny some are semi-solid. mine do have urates in them. not as much as snakes but visible. i handle my cresteds 2 or 3 times a week. i usually feed them babyfood right off my finger when handling them. i think this helps some get used to you. a couple of mine are 6-7 months old and are a little jumpy. the ones i've had for a year or more tolerate handling very well.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks
    Crested geckos can be handled as often as daily if done carefully and with an eye on the gecko’s mood. Generally, juvenile geckos are much more likely to panic over being held than subadult or adult cresties are, and should be handled very little and only when needed when they are up to a few months old. Gradually increase the time they are handled when removed from the cage for cleaning, etc., until they are comfortable with being handled. Cresties will leap from one spot to the next, but will generally indicate through posture and staring at their intended landing area that they are about to leap and where they want to go before leaping unless they are startled or panicked. It is normally a simple matter to see that your crestie intends to jump and then put a safe landing pad, such as your hand, in the area he wants to go. You can also frequently keep cresties from leaping by putting one hand in front of the other for them to walk or jump to repeatedly.
    This is from Marla's caresheet.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thank you both. Bpkid, you just reminded me why it's great to periodically revisit care references from time to time - as one can often forget some things. Thanks!
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Yay!I helped someone!
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid