Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

0 members and 2,859 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: BP new setup!

Registered User ThaRealKarlito5's Avatar
    Thanks

BP new setup!

I have had my ball python #Ava since August of last year. I received her from a local breeder in my area. I had her in a 10g aquarium that I recently changed and feels pretty good about it and thought I should share. So let me know what you think and please feel free to post your setup! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Probably happy to be in a bigger setup, more space lol so that's good. Thought I have some concerns I must say about the setup.

1. How are you measuring temps? I dont see any gauges. If its a heatgun then that would make sense.
    2. How are you measuring humidity?, again I dont see hygrometer, might get a bad shed if not in proper range.
    3. You should cover the side glass and the back with something so its not see through. You will see people do this for glass tanks because it helps make the snake feel more secure and less stressed. Having it see through makes the snake feel like its out in the open and in possible danger.
    4. Logs aren't usually recommended for bp enclosures because it has two openings, the snake cant feel secure inside of it, unless of course you have the other end up perfectly against the back of the tank so its completely blacked out (covered), which helps. But I learned the hard way myself.
    5. You should set it up so there's a cool side and a hot side. Two identical hides, one in hot side reading 90f surface (or ambient if you are using ceramic heaters instead and hooked up to a thermostat to keep solid 90f) and one in the cool end measuring 80-83f ambient. From what I see, your enclosure isn't set up that way at the moment.

Idk maybe I'm just over criticizing but from what I see in your setup the snake doesn't really have a secure place it can be in, the one hide that's in there, the log again still doesn't offer that because of the two openings I mentioned and the back and sides feel open as they are not covered. Usually in bp enclosures, if you dont see your bp wondering around that's usually a good thing because they are feeling secure in one of the hides but from what I see in those pics, I'm not sure the snake can feel secure anywhere in it. Dont get me wrong, they will wonder around most likely at night, but a low stress level snake will spend most of its time in one of the hides.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I only care for the well being of the animal. If I have made any wrong judgements about the enclosure, please call me out on it, I myself am still learning and taking information in from the caresheets.
    Last edited by Borgpython; 02-01-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Registered User ThaRealKarlito5's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BP new setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Borgpython View Post
    Probably happy to be in a bigger setup, more space lol so that's good. Thought I have some concerns I must say about the setup.

1. How are you measuring temps? I dont see any gauges. If its a heatgun then that would make sense.
    2. How are you measuring humidity?, again I dont see hygrometer, might get a bad shed if not in proper range.
    3. You should cover the side glass and the back with something so its not see through. You will see people do this for glass tanks because it helps make the snake feel more secure and less stressed. Having it see through makes the snake feel like its out in the open and in possible danger.
    4. Logs aren't usually recommended for bp enclosures because it has two openings, the snake cant feel secure inside of it, unless of course you have the other end up perfectly against the back of the tank so its completely blacked out (covered), which helps. But I learned the hard way myself.
    5. You should set it up so there's a cool side and a hot side. Two identical hides, one in hot side reading 90f surface (or ambient if you are using ceramic heaters instead and hooked up to a thermostat to keep solid 90f) and one in the cool end measuring 80-83f ambient. From what I see, your enclosure isn't set up that way at the moment.

Idk maybe I'm just over criticizing but from what I see in your setup the snake doesn't really have a secure place it can be in, the one hide that's in there, the log again still doesn't offer that because of the two openings I mentioned and the back and sides feel open as they are not covered. Usually in bp enclosures, if you dont see your bp wondering around that's usually a good thing because they are feeling secure in one of the hides but from what I see in those pics, I'm not sure the snake can feel secure anywhere in it. Dont get me wrong, they will wonder around most likely at night, but a low stress level snake will spend most of its time in one of the hides.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I only care for the well being of the animal. If I have made any wrong judgements about the enclosure, please call me out on it, I myself am still learning and taking information in from the caresheets.
    Thanks for all the tips. Once again, this is my first BP, still have a lot to learn. I'm workin fb on everything you said and will show you update soon. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: BP new setup!

I agree with everything Borg said. other advice I would give is to use less substrate. An inch deep is good enough. A UTH on a tstat is going to have a hard time getting temps right through all of that. They will burrow but I don't know if they would burrow that deep. Oh and if that is a screen top I would cover 3/4 with either aluminum foil, plexiglass, or damp towels to keep humidity in. If it isn't already I would put that lamp on a dimmer switch. Those things suck humidity like none other, especially when they are not regulated.

Sent from my Glade Airfreshener ® using Tapatalk