Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,984

0 members and 2,984 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Need some dwarf hamster advice

Hi guys,
    It's been a long time since I had hamsters (I think I had some syrians when I was about 8), but my husband expressed an interest in picking up a pair of dwarf hamsters the last time we were at the pet store, so I'm entertaining the idea (this is the first time he has initialized purchasing an animal).

I have a few questions for those of you that have kept them and would appreciate any other advice you have.

1. Could we house a pair together, if purchased from the same tank (same gender and probably campbels or robos)?
    2. Could a pair (or single) dwarf live in a 10gl with screen lid?
    3. I know it's a long shot, but would lab block be suitable for them to eat (if not, I will purchase appropriate food)?
    4. Would shredded aspen be an appropriate bedding for them?
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: Need some dwarf hamster advice

Word of advice, make absolutely sure they are the same gender, which I would take them to the vet for, do not trust the pet store clerk. I made that mistake, ended up with a grand total of 27 of the little buggers (They breed quickly and tend to inbreed). As for housing them together, I didn't have any problems with housing two of the same gender...it only became an issue when there were many more of them. Lol

For your other questions, a 10 gallon tank is fine, I tended to just buy standard hamster bedding and food rather than anything specific

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LaciArsenic; 09-18-2015 at 05:52 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LaciArsenic For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-18-2015)

Thanks
    1) I house my dwarves together, but you have to be positive that they're same gender, and I would guess that a female pair is better than a male pair (less fighting, etc.)
    2) They could live in a 10 gallon, but I think 360 sq. inches of floor space is the recommended minimum. Mine are in a big sterilite tub (like we use for snakes- I made a mesh top and poked some holes, and voilą!) You can look up DIY hamster bin cages. They're easy and cheap.
    3) I'm not sure about food. I buy hamster specific. I do know that dwarves are prone to diabetes, so you shouldn't feed a diet that's high in sugar- don't give them very much fruit.
    4) Also couldn't tell you about the aspen. I use carefresh, and haven't smelled my hamsters at all.

There are tons of hamster forums if you wanted more info

Edit- I realize this post is old, but hopefully if anyone else has questions this will help!
    Last edited by Megg; 09-18-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    Do not get a pair. Dwarf hamster's are not as bad as syrians when it comes to killing their roommates but they will be perfectly fine alone. If you do get a pair I'd say try females.
    I'm not entirely sure what a lab block is, but if its intended for rats/mice it probably is not the best for hamsters.
    Aspen is fine, I personally prefer carefresh but aspen will work.