Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

2 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First time owner?

For the longest time I've seen pythons/boas/corn snakes etc. in the pet shops when going in to buy supplies for my fish tank and dog. I always spend a fair amount of time looking in the reptiles section, but I've always had a fear of snakes specifically. They're amazing creatures to watch, but touching? that just seemed insane to willingly handle a boa/python. Until recently, I had never touched one, but i visited a friend with one and finally worked up the courage to hold one. Ever since them I've been fascinated even more, and wanted to own one. I'm just not 100% sure what I want to get.

I have learned the hard way that if you ask for advice at a pet store, 90% of the time you'll get a lot of nonsense while they're just trying to make the sale. So i found this site to look for some intel

I've pretty much come down to 4 snakes that I want to get. Ball Python, Sand Boa, Pastel Ball Python, or a corn snake. I'm more leaning toward the boa or python though. In all honesty, I don't really know too much about snakes, but from what I've read all snakes are an individual and will have their own personality, so you can't expect a specific breed to be more docile, or less aggressive while handling, which is my biggest worry. How aggressive they'll be when being handled.

I have an empty 30gallon and 10gallon fish tank, glass. I'm not sure if it's better to have glass or plastic. So don't be shy when telling me as much info about snake keeping is possible, that is after all why im here Don't want to jump into something and make the snake suffer from my stupidity.

From your experiences, what would be the best snake to get as a "starter" snake if you will?
    Last edited by oopslala; 01-22-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: More info

Thanks

Re: First time owner?

Our first and only snake is a ball. I would suggest starting off reading the various care sheets and beginning there. Lots of great info on this site and many many members are always willing to come up with good advice for the novice like myself.

Thanks

I acquired a ball python from my son. She is roughly 2 years old and absolutely adorable. I think that a ball is a great first snake as they are generally quite docile, easy to handle, low maintenance and they don't get too large. My little girl is roughly 30 inches long and quite easy to handle - they don't move fast so you can easily keep an eye on them when they are out. This is my first snake (had her for three months now) and it all seems so natural now. I think that a ball would be a great first snake for anyone but so would some of the smaller boas, etc. This forum is great and the folks here will assist with all of your questions.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BWB For This Useful Post:

se7en (01-27-2015),The Golem (01-22-2015)

Thanks

They are all great snakes but for someone who is a bit iffy on handling them I would go for the ball python very easy too care for super docile and not quite so intimidating like a boa can be when they reach adult size and if not handled frequently can sometimes be a bit doggy so I'd start with a ball python for sure

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

All of you selections are good beginner snakes. Sand Boas won't get that large. I am kind of partial to the rough-scaled sand boas, and hope to get one this year.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    I love my BP but I'm kind of partial to colubrids for someone's first snake (mostly since their temp/humidity requirements are easier to stay on top of). But all of those seem like good choices BPs are really easy to handle and generally pretty slow moving, so a great idea if you're not 100% confident with handling.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    I can only vouch for Ball Pythons since it's the only kind of snakes I own. I personally love them. They're don't make very great display animal and sometimes they go on hunger strikes so that's something to consider. Other than that, they're pretty hardy animals. One more thing, a Pastel Ball Python is a Ball Python, he just has the Pastel "paint job".
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Like you every time I was in pet stores getting fish supplies I would look at every reptile in there. I never owned one or had a friend who kept them either. I was always fascinated but never had one largely because I wasn't allowed. I live alone now so I first started looking at lizards but they didn't fit my lifestyle. I thought about snakes and like you was unsure about holding them so I went to a reptile store to see if I liked it. It all went downhill from there. I was unsure just holding one in my hands much less having one around my neck. I spent 2hrs in the store chatting with the guy with a mostly full grown BP on my arm. I went back a few more times for information on caging and hold another snake. My comfort level and confidence grew each time. After owning my BP for 2 months I can sit on the couch with him around my neck watching TV or have him stare me in the face and his tongue flick my nose and be completely comfortable. I didn't like the 'constant escape mode' of the corns. When I held one i hand to move my hands one after the other like a treadmill. With the BPs they just hang out and slowly explore. I also have a cat and a fast moving snake is trouble where a slow moving BP would just confuse her. It comes down to your own personal preference in looks, temperament etc. I'm happy I made the plunge and a BP fits what I wanted. I work a lot so an inactive snake isn't an issue for me when I'm busy working all week but can take him out on a weekend for awhile. I just bought my BP a new larger cage and will be getting a childrens python to take up his current home.
    Last edited by trailblazer295; 01-23-2015 at 01:03 AM.
    1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu)

Thanks

I've been talking to friends about the idea and everyone seems to be against it telling me it'll escape and cause some sort of trouble and "every snake escapes at least once". The only problem I'm worried about with a possible escape is my hound dog who is 50lbs. Obviously I'll take all the precautions if I get it, but all it takes is 1 time.

So any of you have dogs in the same household, what measures to you go to that assures you no escapes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oopslala View Post
    I've been talking to friends about the idea and everyone seems to be against it telling me it'll escape and cause some sort of trouble and "every snake escapes at least once". The only problem I'm worried about with a possible escape is my hound dog who is 50lbs. Obviously I'll take all the precautions if I get it, but all it takes is 1 time.

So any of you have dogs in the same household, what measures to you go to that assures you no escapes?
    I have a German Shepherd and a Rhodesian Ridgeback and haven't had any trouble with them in regards to my snakes. The worst thing that my Rhodesian did when I was handling one of my BPs, was lick it.

I do have PVC enclosures that have glass sliding doors so the only way my snakes are getting out is if I forget to close them.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast