Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

3 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Corn Questions

Thanks
    Hi everyone! I have a lot of questions...any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :wink:
    I'm just wondering about heating for corns. I have a young hatchling corn and I'm using a small plastic tank - it's called a "Reptile Ranch" if anyone is familiar with it? I have a human heating pad stuck under half of the tank, currently set on low (one of the $10 Dunlap ones from Wal-mart). I still need to run out to buy an accu-rite tomorrow. I'm just wondering whether the heating pad under half the tank will be okay? And what's the difference between the basking area and the warm side? Should I have a heat lamp too?

Also, I just got my corn today (reptile show). How long should I wait until I feed him? When I left, I realized that I forgot to ask the guy when was the last time he ate.. Should I just feed him one small pinky a week? I know, I know, I've read a million corn snake care sheets...but I just want reassurance. --I've read a lot of different opinions. Heh.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Half the tank is fine and you don't need a heat lamp. Belly heat supplied by only a heating pad is all you need. do you not have a thermometer? Temps of 85 on the warm side and 75 on the cool side are fine. Since you're not too sure when it last ate you can try after a few days or just wait a week - but be sure your setup is right (especially temps) first. How old is it? Can't really tell you what size food to feed it without knowing it's age, etc. But I'm guessing it's really young if you have it in a Reptile Ranch. My 5 month old I got from Kathy love is on pinkies. She's thinner than a pencil. Would love to see pics! What kind of corn is it?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    No, i'm going out to get a thermometer today - didn't have time to go by the time I got back yesterday. Anyway - I bought a lot of small frozen pinkies for him. He's thinner than a pencil too! An anery. how can I make the cooler side 75? should I get another heat pad for that side? I don't think my room temperature is 75 normally.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    When you get the thermometer (and an Accurite or any other digital w/ probes is a good choice because they are most accurate) and have a chance to actually measure temps and you find that the cool side is too cool - then I guess you can add a second heating pad (or just raise your room temps). While they can tolerate temps down to 70 I've heard htey may not eat at those temps. Anerys are nice looking corns.
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    If I kept his cool side at 75, but then took him out of his tank to feed, where the room temp may possibly be lower than 75 (haven't checked yet) - do you think that would stop him from eating too? :|

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I doubt it. You just want to be sure to return him to the tank so that he may properly digest at the correct temps - unless it's freezing in your room.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks

IBD symptoms

Welcome to the site! Tiger's covered everything I would've said, but make sure you have some space for circulation between the heating pad and the bottom of your enclosure.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh yes - Gen is right. Thanks for adding that since I forgot to mention it.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    You're welcome!
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

Thanks
    hmm, apparently my room temperature IS about 75. I thought it was cooler. Well- I got a thermometer - oregon scientific or something. The temps are good and I am happy. Thanks for all the info!