Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

0 members and 2,931 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    He's probably new to the whole herp world . Anyone in this hobby understands when to ship ad when not to . Idc if it even calls for nice weather in the middle of the winter no matter who I purchase a animal from I will not have them ship until i know it's nice out for weeks . I'm more concerned for the safe arrival of my animal then I am of my impatience ..
    I would refund him . Then after explain to him the importance of ur animals and u don't have to black list him u csn do future bizz with him but make sure he understands that if it's not safe to shop u won't and then make sure u note that on ur site/page .
    And good luck
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: Impatient Customer - Need Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mykuhl View Post
    Pardon me if this comes across as rude but...I am starting to notice that there seems to be a general attitude in the reptile industry to put buyers on a "black list" over a single infraction or perceived infraction. Usually this is to avoid any drama or possible hassles. I personally find this a strange way to run a business and don't see this attitude in other industries. Difficult customers are just a normal part of doing business when your business is selling. Nobody likes dealing with these type of people but you do it for the sake of your business.
    There is one in the firearm industry, which due to federal regulations in the US is a lot smaller than the herp world from a seller standpoint. There are quite a few more buyers though. It usually takes a lot to get put on it though. It's also not a public list.

As for the OP, if the seller can't ship the critter due to cold weather, so what? In the reptile business the seller is on the hook, potentially for weeks or months, to feed and care for that critter until the weather improves. If the snake needs to go to the vet, the seller covers that. If the snake dies I get a refund. The risk is all on the seller, not the buyer.

This business model is exactly the opposite of what I've encountered in the horse world. If I purchased a horse and needed it shipped across country, once it was paid for, title would transfer to me - as well as any associated costs with feeding, boarding, vet, farrier, etc. even if it hadn't arrived in my stable yet.
    Last edited by bcr229; 02-05-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts
    I'm very upfront regarding shipping and the weather. I'm in Phoenix so I have the heat to worry about rather then the cold; however, in the winter my weather is perfect but I have to worry about where the package is going. Even though my terms are outlined on my website I warn people before they send any money if I feel the weather will be an issue. For example, when your in NJ and its 70 degrees you don't realize it may be 108 degrees in Phoenix. In over seven years of shipping I've never had an issue with a customer losing patience. Some have been bummed out that their snake will come next week rather then this week but they end up happy in the long run so it works out. I think many issues can be avoided if addressed up front...
    Last edited by Dave Green; 02-05-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks

First off, this is all said and done and a semi old thread. I want to make it clear to everyone on here I made is VERY CLEAR that I wouldn't be able to ship to him. It also said it in my initial ad. I refunded him his money and very politely explained to him that the animals well being and safety means more to me than the money. Even though I didn't have a whole TOS written up, there were bullet points on my ad that stated shipping is done weather permitting. Now, some of you have given great advice such as taking non refundable deposits and paying installments. I wasn't very aware people did this on out right purchases. I thought it was only a payment plan deal. But now that I know, that is exactly what I will do from now on. Thank you to everyone who gave great advice. I really do appreciate it! This thread can die out though because like I said, it's been all said and done for quite some time now.

Thanks again guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mykuhl View Post
    Pardon me if this comes across as rude but...I am starting to notice that there seems to be a general attitude in the reptile industry to put buyers on a "black list" over a single infraction or perceived infraction. Usually this is to avoid any drama or possible hassles. I personally find this a strange way to run a business and don't see this attitude in other industries. Difficult customers are just a normal part of doing business when your business is selling. Nobody likes dealing with these type of people but you do it for the sake of your business.
    A bit of subject but I want to address this.

I can understand your views but there is a difference to make between someone who does this for a living and someone who does this for a hobby. (most people here do not do this for a living)

I have work in retail on and off for 20 years from sales person to district manager so I do know a bit about difficult customers and dealing with them, now when it comes to breeding and selling snakes it's a different story I do this as a hobby.

By doing this as a hobby it means I do something I enjoy, and I am passionate about, dealing with what can be a potential difficult customer or one that care more about himself and what he wants (for example getting animals ship in borderline weather conditions) versus the the safety and health of my animals is not something I have to deal with. I do not do this for a living, and while I do make a profit I do not rely on this to pay bills so I can afford to be picky and sell to whom I chose to sell to.

Does this attitude cost me sales? Probably but it also leads to sales since people appreciate people with ethics who value their animals more then the $$$ signs and make their animal's health and safety a priority.

Do I have a black list of people I would not sell to? Yes I do because I have principals.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

adam_c (02-05-2015),anicatgirl (03-28-2015),bcr229 (02-05-2015),GoingPostal (02-05-2015),Marrissa (03-28-2015)

Thanks
    How did it go? I don't think you legally need to do anything, you have already sold the animal, but I would have refunded for fear of bad feedback.

I join the voices opting for a deposit. That is done a lot in Sweden(no shipping involved though, usually it's just a way to hold a baby until it's old enough).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123