Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,912

2 members and 2,910 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What is it exactly about citris fruit that Cresteds can't eat it?

I've heard some say they feed fresh fruit to their cresteds - I'm assuming you have to puree or really mash it up since it seems that they lick their food and don't chew it?

I saw my new little guys throat moving a bit last night - reminded me of a frog. Is this normal? Is it just breathing?

Thanks!
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Not exactly sue what it is about citrus , Only thing I can think of would be the high content of citric acid .. I feed mostly a mix of baby food for my fruit , but every couple of weeks I make up a batch of fresh I just cut it up in small chunks and throw it in the blender. I have even taken unsweetened fruit cocktail and blended it before and they seem to like it alot, its mostly peaches and pears when ever I make a batch up I freeze it in ice cube trays and mix the calcium in as im going

Thanks
    I think it's the citrus acid as well, though no one's adequately explained it to me. I figure better safe than sorry. And yes, the froggy throat thing is quite normal. Mine do that sometimes, particularly in the evening.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks Marla! I too have only noticed him do it really in the evening. I keep waiting for him to make a 'croaking' sound.

Marla, do you feed fresh fruit to your cresties? I thought I'd remember you saying you did. If so do you just chop it finely, puree, etc?
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I was waiting for a croaking sound for a good while, too, but gave up. I have wondered if they are producing a sound we can't hear.

I have given the cresties fresh pear from our pear tree, though I am too lazy to want to clean the food processor thingy, so I just cut it up finely and mushed it with the back of a spoon. I have also given them avocado with the same treatment, but I think that's all, because bananas don't last long enough for leftovers in my house and much of the other fresh fruit we eat is citrus or grapes.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thank you!
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Have either of you heard them squeal yet?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Nope. Not me.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCoombs
    Have either of you heard them squeal yet?
    Yep, but only once. It's not nearly as bad as a rabbit's howl, but it was disconcerting for sure. I'm so used to the only noises being the occasional thumps when they land a jump.

Thanks
    The babies "mine any how "usually do it quite a bit when I am in their cages cleaning or moving them they dont like to be touched

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast