Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,142

1 members and 3,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

how to "disinfect" your ball python?

Hey, I know this sounds kind of dumb but can you disinfect your ball python? I ask because recently she pooped in her cage and she was sitting in it a bit so i gave her a 'bath' and rinsed her off but there was quite a bit on her as it ended up on me. But obviously i can't wash her with soap (correct me if I'm wrong). So I just didn't know if there is a suggestion or maybe a product as to whether or not you can disinfect them of the germs they were sitting in (ie. their poop)
    Roxy
    (1/2 Lesser - 1/2 Normal)

Thanks

how to "disinfect" your ball python?

You can just give them a wipe with a warm damp towel if you must, that should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SRMD; 12-24-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You can use chlorhexdine, also called Novalsan. Dilute it down(I usually use 1 or 2 capfuls to a gallon of water) and then I use it to clean all my reptile cages as well as disinfect my hands each time I handle a different reptile. Its safe as long as you dilute it and its even used as a teeth cleaning rinse for mammals. So you can spray some on a paper towel and wipe the snake off. Then use a clean warm wet paper towel to do the final wipe down. I would avoid getting it into their eyes just in case.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Megz (12-26-2014)

Thanks

Re: how to "disinfect" your ball python?

Quote Originally Posted by Megz View Post
    Hey, I know this sounds kind of dumb but can you disinfect your ball python? I ask because recently she pooped in her cage and she was sitting in it a bit so i gave her a 'bath' and rinsed her off but there was quite a bit on her as it ended up on me. But obviously i can't wash her with soap (correct me if I'm wrong). So I just didn't know if there is a suggestion or maybe a product as to whether or not you can disinfect them of the germs they were sitting in (ie. their poop)
    I've read that some people use baby shampoo and let the snake slither through their hands, ensuring that you don't get any on the snake's head. I've never actually tried it, though...my snake doesn't seem to like slithering through her poo haha. Yay, less mess for me to clean up

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jadab123 For This Useful Post:

Megz (12-26-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jadab123 View Post
    I've read that some people use baby shampoo and let the snake slither through their hands, ensuring that you don't get any on the snake's head. I've never actually tried it, though...my snake doesn't seem to like slithering through her poo haha. Yay, less mess for me to clean up
    is it safe for them? Because i know you can't use regular soap cause of the chemicals and what not
    Roxy
    (1/2 Lesser - 1/2 Normal)

Thanks

I agree with the first reply you got simply wipe down the snake with water and a cloth/rag ... Best way is to just put the wet cloth on your hand and let your snake slither thru your hand .... As far as the chlorhexdine goes .... It is a magnificent safe disinfectant for enclosures and husbandry items when diluted properly ... As for applying it directly to your snake I wouldnt risk it ... No matter how diluted you have it, there is simply no need ... IMO there is no need to ever apply anything directly to your snake unless you are A) treating mites or B) applying something to a wound that was vet prescribed ....

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I've used non-alcohol based generic baby wipes. The generic kind are usually a bit thicker and stiffer than the name-brand ones, so they don't get ripped up by your snake's scales. Follow that with a paper towel you've sprayed with warm water so you remove the soap.