Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

5 members and 2,845 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Heat Tape - what kind of Lamp cord do i use

Okay so this is my first rack that i built and im going to daisy chain the lamp cord to 12, 1 foot strips of 6inch THG heat tape,(12 watts per foot) so if i ever have a strip malfunction i can replace it,

anyway i went to Home depot to get lamp cord/wire to do the daisy chain, but she was asking about amps and watts, so i know what cords to buy,

I also what to know if i have to have aluminum foil tape to tape down my heat tape,

i was planing on buying that thick moisture sealing electrical tape but im prolly just gonna use regular elec. tape ,

if there is anything im forgetting to mention or u need to know first let me know ill be sure to reply

and if i dont use alum. foil tape, can i use duct tape to tape down the Heat tape so the tub goes over it easier and the tape would wear out before the heat tape

Thanks

Heat Tape - what Type of Lamp Cord do i use & about alum. foil Tape

Okay so this is my first rack that i built and im going to daisy chain the lamp cord to 12, 1 foot strips of 6inch THG heat tape,(12 watts per foot) so if i ever have a strip malfunction i can replace it,

anyway i went to Home depot to get lamp cord/wire to do the daisy chain, but she was asking about amps and watts, so i know what cords to buy,

I also what to know if i have to have aluminum foil tape to tape down my heat tape,

i was planing on buying that thick moisture sealing electrical tape but im prolly just gonna use regular elec. tape ,

if there is anything im forgetting to mention or u need to know first let me know ill be sure to reply

and if i dont use alum. foil tape, can i use duct tape to tape down the Heat tape so the tub goes over it easier and the tape would wear out before the heat tape

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    2 stran 16awg is what I am using if I remember correctly.
    You can get it at Lowes or Home adepot by the foot.
    For the plug I bought a bunch of the .99 cent ectension cords from Walmart and just cut off the female end.
    Use electrical tape on all 4 corners to insulate.
    I use foil tape to hold it down. Two layers all the way around and a third on the front edge as a sacrifial weat area.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I solder everything.

Thanks

Re: Heat Tape - what Type of Lamp Cord do i use & about alum. foil Tape

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    2 stran 16awg is what I am using if I remember correctly.
    You can get it at Lowes or Home adepot by the foot.
    For the plug I bought a bunch of the .99 cent ectension cords from Walmart and just cut off the female end.
    Use electrical tape on all 4 corners to insulate.
    I use foil tape to hold it down. Two layers all the way around and a third on the front edge as a sacrifial weat area.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I solder everything.

do u think it would be okay if i used duct tape instead because i heard some bad things about foil tape and i dont want to spend $10+ and something go wrong or something, i mean i would still use electrical tape for the corners but tape it down with Duct tape

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use duct tape for that myself, however if you need to move it it'll be difficult because it can get very sticky. I use the high temperature duct tape for heating ducts
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Heat Tape - what Type of Lamp Cord do i use & about alum. foil Tape

I used extension cords for my heat tape and soldered all connections and used electrical tape to cover them. Then used the foil tape for duct work to tape it to the shelves. I think it is rated up to 300 degrees.
    Snakes
    0.1 Butter
    0.1 Het Clown/Ghost
    1.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown
    1.1 Pied
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Fire/Spider
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Pastave
    1.0 Albino Snow Corn
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel