Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,287

0 members and 1,287 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

How can a male snake be a "female maker" or "male maker"?

I've seen ads for male snakes as "female maker" or "male maker".

If the females are the heterogametic (zw) gender, how does the zz of the male determine sex?

Thanks
    Its a genetic anomaly with the Banana/coral glow gene. visual males produced from banana/coral glow females will produce around 95% female visual offspring and are called female maker males. Every so often it will produce a visual male and will have the same statistics in its offspring but will be predominately males and is called a male maker. Its weird and confusing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ajmreptiles For This Useful Post:

PeterPieBaldPython (08-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thank you for that, but I'm still rather confused.

The female determines the sex, as she is the one that would throw the z or the w. The male has no choice but to throw Z's.

Wouldn't the female be the "female maker" or the "male maker"?

How is this proven?

If Banana is co-dom, aren't all bananas visual?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: How can a male snake be a "female maker" or "male maker"?

Right. The female determines the sex, as she is the one that would throw the Z or the W. The male has no choice but to throw Z's.

As far as I know, all bananas are visual. "Male makers" and "female makers" are in banana male x normal female matings. Both male and female babies occur. But with male-maker males, there are both normal and banana male babies while almost all the females are normal instead of banana. Female-maker banana males produce the reverse. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

All this confuses everybody. My own guess (and it's only a guess) is that the banana mutant gene somehow affects the sex hormone levels as well as color.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    It really isn't that confusing. If the male banana came from a male banana, it will make mostly male bananas. If the male banana came from a female banana, it will make mostly female bananas. Sex ratios don't change. Female bananas produce as expected. At least that is the conclusion we can come to with the current info.

Mechanics behind it are unknown, it is an anomaly never seen before. Z's and W's might play some sort of factor, but the gene is not sex linked. Otherwise we could say it is linked to Z or W.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (12-09-2014),kaitala (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Okay, so let me see if I got this:

when the male carries the one codom gene for banana on his W, he'll be a "banana male maker" and when bred to a normal, she'll throw normal females (from his normal Z gene) and banana males from his W gene which carries the banana... reverse for females... The few exceptions of visuals have to be created during gene transfer in meiosis, and are necessary for the super forms....

Are there differences in appearance between the two?

Wouldn't this be true of all co-doms?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    It really isn't that confusing. If the male banana came from a male banana, it will make mostly male bananas. If the male banana came from a female banana, it will make mostly female bananas. Sex ratios don't change. Female bananas produce as expected. At least that is the conclusion we can come to with the current info.

Mechanics behind it are unknown, it is an anomaly never seen before. Z's and W's might play some sort of factor, but the gene is not sex linked. Otherwise we could say it is linked to Z or W.
    Actually it is not something never seen before and the mechanics behind it are quite obvious. This is the first in ball python genetics that we have seen, but definitely not the first sex linked gene in the animal kingdom.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TessadasExotics For This Useful Post:

luizillo (09-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaitala View Post
    Okay, so let me see if I got this:

when the male carries the one codom gene for banana on his W, he'll be a "banana male maker" and when bred to a normal, she'll throw normal females (from his normal Z gene) and banana males from his W gene which carries the banana... reverse for females... The few exceptions of visuals have to be created during gene transfer in meiosis, and are necessary for the super forms....
    Males have homozygous sex chromosomes, usually represented as ZZ. Again it is not sex linked. It is a never before seen anomaly.

Are there differences in appearance between the two?
    no

Wouldn't this be true of all co-doms?
    They sit on one of the other chromosomes that are not described as sex chromosomes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Actually it is not something never seen before and the mechanics behind it are quite obvious. This is the first in ball python genetics that we have seen, but definitely not the first sex linked gene in the animal kingdom.
    How many years are you going to be saying it despite glaring evidence of it not falling under the definition of sex linked?

Even though we have done this before in other places, why not on bp.net.... please enlighten us Tess, tell us how it works.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast