Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,976

4 members and 3,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    It's a saying about kids who don't listen and are full of spunk. My grandma would always classify me as that when I was younger. How has everything turned offensive. I mean sayings and turn of phrases are all so misconstrued now a days. I may just not post here because I keep causing problems when I am just trying to be human.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: First ball python!!

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish1 View Post
    It's a saying about kids who don't listen and are full of spunk. My grandma would always classify me as that when I was younger. How has everything turned offensive. I mean sayings and turn of phrases are all so misconstrued now a days. I may just not post here because I keep causing problems when I am just trying to be human.
    You are not causing problems for me, I actually found that saying quite funny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

I wrote out a response, but deleted it. You've settled on a course of action and are determined to follow it. Just think about it, and do more research. Maybe youtube some breeders, and see how they have their snakes' setups. The bottom line is that the care of your snake must come first. And to give him good care you have to keep an open mind willing to learn new things that might contradict what you learned previously. Good luck with your snake.
    BPs - Lots
    Corn Snake - One.
    Retic

Fuzzies
    Dog Cat Mice rats

Offspring - 10 plus grand-offspring 0.0

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

First ball python!!

You know what they say you can lead the horse to the water..........

Anyway HIS snake, HIS problem.

Makes me wonder why people come here and ask for suggestion and when handed good advice just dismiss them.

Basically a waste of everyone's time.

BTW unregulated heat can be a serious fire hazard, hope you have a good home insurance.

I have a feeling next time you ask for advice people will just ignore you, after all what's the point?
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-10-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-10-2014),BPSnakeLady (12-10-2014),JaYdEd (12-10-2014),rabernet (12-11-2014),Reed12321 (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Nope.

Do you have $20 to spend on one?
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

From what I've heard, it seems to me that people whoso add all that extra stuff ultimately end up with the sick animal.
    A lot of us are on here specifically to improve our animal husbandry using the most up-to-date and current knowledge in the field. Because I'm genuinely curious, where have you heard this? What specific examples can you provide? I can personally find multiple examples in this forum alone where a lack of that "extra stuff" (thermostats, ambient air heaters, hygrometers, infrared thermometers, etc.) was correlated with a sick animal. The preponderance of evidence appears to be on the side of needing a thermostat, etc. But new evidence is always worth considering! So please, can you cite or provide your sources where a thermostat or space heater has led to a sick animal, for our learning benefit? (Please don't take this as sarcasm! This is genuine curiosity)

Also, I have received some advice on here that doesn't make sense. Example: plastic cages keep moisture better than glass. Scientifically, no it doesn't.
    As for the plastic cages issue, my understanding of it is this: PVC cages retain heat better than glass (scientifically, this is logical). With higher heat, it's easier to maintain ambient humidity (that is, humidity throughout the air in an enclosure). It's not that PVC keeps moisture better, it's that PVC maintains heat and humidity more easily. As I said, I'm here to improve my knowledge, so someone please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong!
    Last edited by thejennabird; 12-10-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thejennabird For This Useful Post:

BPSnakeLady (12-10-2014)

Thanks

Quick question that's totally unrelated to everything - are you a boy or girl? I thought you were a girl, others are thinking you're a boy. What is it? I want to make sure everyone has their pronouns correct.

Secondly, it's not overcomplicating things by getting a thermostat. It's actually simplifying things. Without a thermostat, you have to check the temps multiple times per day. When i didn't have one and was just using a rheostat, I would check the temps every 3 hours. Now that I have thermostats, I check the temps maybe once per day. It's one of those things where you can "set it and forget it" so if you go away for a weekend, you can have more peace of mind knowing that your snakes aren't too cold or too hot.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Reed12321 For This Useful Post:

BPSnakeLady (12-10-2014)

Banned
    Thanks

Wow this kid is giving me a laugh. I'm sorry but if 20+people who have a hell of a lot more experience than you and have probably kept snakes longer than you have been on this planet recommend one you might want to listen. You can find plenty of websites that will tell you the same thing. But what do we know. U evidently are a boy genius and know everything in the world. Can't wait to see the post... HELP my snake got burned and I can't afford to take it to the vet. Then sir I will laugh at ur face and say I guess you don't need that 30 $ t stat. Sincerely just another dumbass who knows nothing

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostysBP For This Useful Post:

Reed12321 (12-10-2014),Viol8r (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

By "people with experience" do you mean "people on this forum?" I have talked to many who have experience. They have pointed me in the right direction regarding products, feeding and handling. I prefer to keep things simple, rather than complicate it with thermostats, space heaters and all the rest. From what I've heard, it seems to me that people whoso add all that extra stuff ultimately end up with the sick animal. Also, I have received some advice on here that doesn't make sense. Example: plastic cages keep moisture better than glass. Scientifically, no it doesn't.

PVC, HDPE or CDPVC keep humidty in the same amount as a glass tank would if the glass tank had a sealed lid with 2 or 3 small slots cut out on a wall for ventilation. So technically, you are right in saying that plastic doesn't hold moisture better but tis the way its constructed that does. As you know, glass tanks have the whole top open which just lets humidity escape. If you do what a lot of people do and use foil or something to cover the top, it will work just as well as a plastic cage. Thing is its a lot less work and messing around to achieve the right humidity in a plastic cage. Also with plastic cages you can use a RHP to heat it which doesn't suck out moisture like a heat lamp or CHE. And for big snakes like my red tail boa, a glass tank isn't even an option.

As for heat, PVC, HDPE, CDPVC all are better insulators than glass.

Bottom line is a plastic cage is much easier to work with than glass not to mention lighter. Why do you think a lot of people use plastic totes?

Anyways, good luck and at the very least, get a rheostat for that UTH.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 12-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    Quick question that's totally unrelated to everything - are you a boy or girl? I thought you were a girl, others are thinking you're a boy. What is it? I want to make sure everyone has their pronouns correct.

Secondly, it's not overcomplicating things by getting a thermostat. It's actually simplifying things. Without a thermostat, you have to check the temps multiple times per day. When i didn't have one and was just using a rheostat, I would check the temps every 3 hours. Now that I have thermostats, I check the temps maybe once per day. It's one of those things where you can "set it and forget it" so if you go away for a weekend, you can have more peace of mind knowing that your snakes aren't too cold or too hot.
    Even thermostats can fail. You need one that will shut off if something goes wrong or it gets above the max temp threshold you set like a Herpstat. From what I have been told, the Hydroponics one can run full blast if it malfunctions or at least someone said that. That's why I only run Herpstats.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-10-2014)

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast