Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,384

0 members and 2,384 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First ball python!!

Hi all! I got my very first ball python hatchling today! I don't have him quite yet, picking him up on Tuesday. He is a very beautiful friendly pastel. Gorgeous coloring on this guy! In the process of setting his tank up. I have a heat pad getting started and paper towel substrate in a 10 gallon tank. I don't have a thermostat, but I will get one if I need it. The label on the heat pad (zoomed) said I shouldn't need one unless it's a really big tank or if my house gets to be 26c which it definitely does not, being in a basement and all. Also, the guy at the petstore ( local exotic petstore, one of a kind, great helpful knowledgeable staff, this guy is extremely kind and helpful) pointed me to the right direction as of brands, and said he has never had a problem with zoomed or exo terra heat pads with them getting overheated. He also told me to use paper towel as a substrate, because he said once there was a boa there and a piece of aspen got stuck in its eye, causing it to go blind! this also proves he's not just trying to make money off of me and sell me anything he possibly can. He even told me to go to petsmart for hides and accessories because they are cheaper anyways, I'm super pumped about this little fella! He's very friendly as well. There was also a female, but she was quite timid and shy.

2 whites tree frogs

Thanks
    Welcome and congrats!
    now regarding the UTH, you can spend $35 on a thermostat and reside in the knowledge that your snake will always be safe, or you can gamble and ride on the fact that your heat pad will do fine unregulated, and if burned, your vet visit might cost around $200 for a burn treatment. Your choice.

About aspen: although paper towels is perfectly fine, aspen is alright also. If you look at my best birthday ever thread my terrarium setup for a blue tongue skink is there. It uses aspen, but aspen made for reptiles. It is not sharp aspen shreds, more like aspen pieces. The person you are talking to may be talking about rabbit intended aspen, much thinner shredded wood. That has a chance of hurting a reptile.

Sorry if I came off mean sounding, but that thermostat is pretty much a must.
    Anyways welcome!
    EDIT: spelling
    Last edited by Sir Hognose; 12-07-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    "The best darn derpy ninja there ever was."
    -Sir Hognose 2014

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Hognose For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-08-2014),Lady mkrj58 (12-11-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: First ball python!!

Yes, I know there's a lot said about thermostats, as I said I will for sure get one of its needed. Oh, and the aspen was for reptiles. I know it's completely safe most of the time, but honestly paper towel is easier and completely safe! I live in Canada, so temps can get pretty low. So as for a thermostat, well I guess we will see!

You don't sound mean at all, by the way. I mean, you should go on a frog forum and holy! People are extremely opinionated! I find this forum to be much more relaxed and accepting, rather than judgement all and just plain rude. And thanks for the welcome! I will def post pics when I get him on Tuesday!

2 whites tree frogs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

He's quite stunning. Either he just finished a shed a few days ago, or he's just plain gorgeous! The colors are so vibrant!

2 whites tree frogs

Thanks
    Good luck with your heating pad. I went that route and had an almost $100 vet bill added on to a $200 snake, plus I had to take more time time to give it oral meds, and wipe it's belly down every with a topical med that smelled like oysters. It wasn't a real bad burn, but It's nothing I would be willing to put another snake through. I also had a ZooMed. It's in the garbage now.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, but according to your profile you live in Florida, am I right? I live in Alberta, and my snake is staying in my basement, so I'm honestly not worried. I read the instructions multiple times and It said if your house gets up to 26 c it will overheat. My house, even in the summer never gets that hot. Also, I was reading reviews on the zoomed heat pad, and I noticed in 2011-2012 the reviews were horrible. But, in 2013-2014, reviews are great! Very interesting observation I must say. Again, thanks for not being rude or judge mental. I really appreciate it!

2 whites tree frogs
    1 ball python
    1 cavalier King Charles spaniel
    1 boxer
    1 horse

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Yes, but according to your profile you live in Florida, am I right? I live in Alberta, and my snake is staying in my basement, so I'm honestly not worried. I read the instructions multiple times and It said if your house gets up to 26 c it will overheat. My house, even in the summer never gets that hot. Also, I was reading reviews on the zoomed heat pad, and I noticed in 2011-2012 the reviews were horrible. But, in 2013-2014, reviews are great! Very interesting observation I must say. Again, thanks for not being rude or judge mental. I really appreciate it!

2 whites tree frogs
    1 ball python
    1 boxer
    1 horse
    Everyone on this forum is going to tell you to get a thermostat. Just get the Hydrofarm thermostat, and you'll be set. http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S
    Seriously, if the heat pad is heating and it gets up to even 96 degrees for long periods of time, that could cause BRAIN DAMAGE to your snake. I have 2 snakes and 2 tanks, and 2 thermostats, and basically 2 of everything. Thermostats are equally as important as heat pads or lamps themselves. Do yourself and your snake a favor and get one. You'll be reaching into the tank ALL THE TIME to check the temps of the heat pad and that will stress your snake out, and you'll get really stressed out if it reads too hot. At the very least, get a dimmer, but a thermostat provides peace of mind (And will lower your electric bill).
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Again, I'm in Canada. I can't even get that here. Also,why would I need to reach into the tank to feel the temp when I will have a thermometer? I am quite new to all this, but I honestly like to experiment a bit, try different things, just see what works best in my cold environment lol

2 whites tree frogs
    1 ball python
    1 boxer
    1 horse

Thanks

I will add my voice to the choir. I live in ND, which is a state that has the dubious honor of receiving all of Canada's cold air. I accidentally plugged my UTH into the outlet instead of the regulator, and the temp immediately skyrocketed. Luckily I was just getting everything set back up after a full tank clean, so I caught it early, but it was just proof that the UTH gets much hotter than is safe when unregulated
    1.0 normal ball python (Atticus)
    2.0 cats (Amos and Adam)
    1.0 boyfriend (Alex)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well I mean, as I've said before, I'm gonna try it out. But tomorrow morning when I can get an accurate reading, if it's sky high I will get a thermostat for sure. And also, for any of you who are concerned, my snake isn't actually in the tank, he is on hold at the petstore as I wanted to make sure everything is regulated for him. So don't worry guys! Nobody's at risk here!

2 whites tree frogs
    1 ball python
    1 boxer
    1 horse

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast