Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,196

2 members and 1,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

F/T feeder taken twice but never consumed??

I fed lastnight and I had one of my baby balls throw me for a loop. She is 126 grams, and her first feeding since I got her. Husbandry is correct. I offered her the F/T rat pup and she snatched it up and wrapped. After I finished feeding everyone else (about 25 min later) I check on her and discover it was still laying where she took it from me and she was now on the other side of her enclouser by her water bowl .... I took the rat pup and gave it the heat lamp for a minute in order to resimulate body temp for a heat signature and then offered it a second time. Again she took it wrapped it so I then killed the light in the room and left her be thinking maybe she was not used to the bright lighting of the room during feeding, only to discover this morning that again it still remained with her now back in her hide. Anyone had much experience with this and can offer explanations? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Was it maybe too big? What was she eating before? Rats? Mice? And what size? Like I said, only thing I can really think is its too big. I never had that problem before(knock on wood) as all my BPs always were gung ho eaters and my little 7 week old high white pied girl is going bananas over rat pinkies every 3 days after only having her for 1 week. I feed live though or prekilled when they get older. I also feed her and all of the babies I had food that is 10% of their weight. Maybe try something you know is smaller than normal or a live fuzzy mouse or pinkie rat to just get her used to eating and feeling comfortable feeding in her new cage.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 12-07-2014 at 04:20 AM.

Thanks

Re: F/T feeder taken twice but never consumed??

Definitely not an issue with the feeder size I have a superfly that is about half the size of her and it put down an identical feeder with no problem. I fed two days after receiving her (shipped) I am thinking it was just to soon for her with the move. Two of the others that came in the shipment fed just fine but they are also bigger and older snakes than she is .... I'll just wait and try again next week, I'm not really concerned as much as I am confused. I was under the impression that if they strike and wrap it is usually a done deal. Although I know there are always exceptions ...

Thanks

Re: F/T feeder taken twice but never consumed??

Just my limited experience but my new baby albino was really skinny when I got her. The first feeding she did exactly what yours did. She then sniffed around it and poked it with her nose, and went back to her hide. After I covered her cage with a towel with the 2nd strike she eventually ate it. Friday night I have her a live hoppy which she dispatched and ate immediately. I'm going to keep her on live for a few more feedings to really establish her food drive and then try f/t again. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I have a male doing that now. He's six months old, I produced him, he has been in the same tub for the past few months so no shipping stress, etc. Sometimes he'll eat after the second rewarming, other times he doesn't. One brother from the same clutch is also backing off feeding, while the girls are still taking everything I put in front of them. I'm pushing the boys out to 10 days between feedings instead of 7 to see if that makes a difference.