Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

2 members and 3,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

New with questions!

Hi there there! I am new to the forum, and I actually don't own a ball python...yet. I have some general care questions about them. I have done my research and plan to do more, but I like to hear from experienced people as well.

Tank size: 20 gallon for young Python, 30 gallon for adult.

Heating: 85-90 basking area, general tank heat 80-85

Lighting: not sure...

Humidity: 50-60%

Food: Frozen rats no bigger than width of Python

Water: dechlorinated clean dish

Substrate: coco fiber, jungle mix. Are there any substrates I shouldn't use?

Do these snakes smell?

As I said before, I have yet to do more research, but if I'm getting anything wrong please let me know!

2 whites tree frogs

Thanks

Re: New with questions!

Hello and welcome. It's great you're getting everything set before buying your snake - many people do not! Here are a couple notes in regard to your post:

Tank size: While tanks can work, they aren't ideal. You should really consider tubs, or getting a PVC enclosure as the "forever home" for your BP. Tanks just suck at holding the heat and humidity necessary. You could start out with a tank, but try to save up for a PVC enclosure in the long run.
    IF you go with a tank, follow this tutorial as a recipe to accomplish ideal conditions.
    Lighting: Not necessary. You may need an infrared or CHE bulb to add heat, but adding light isn't necessary for the snake and is only helpful for you!
    Substrate: The preferred substrates are cypress, cocohusk (both great for humidity), aspen (good for looks), and newspaper/paper towels (cheap and easy to clean). Many people will tell you NOT to use pine, but other have said it's OK. In most instances, cypress and cocohusk will do just fine.
    Do these snakes smell? BPs rarely - if ever - musk. Their poop and pee smell, but the snakes themselves do not. If there's a suspicious odor at all near my snake, I know she's "done her business" and it's time to clean up!

You can't go wrong with the caresheet posted on this forum. And yes, please post any more questions as you think of them. Having your husbandry secure before buying your snake will make the whole process much easier!
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria

Thanks

I can agree with the caresheet helping a lot. I am a new owner and have had my BP for a month and I still go on this site everyday and try to learn new things. So far I can agree that a tank doesn't hold humidity well but there are certain ways to trap it. Somewhere in the forums there is a tutorial on setting up tanks. I'll try to find it and give you the link

Sent from my Glade Airfreshener ® using Tapatalk

Thanks

That was easy, I had it bookmarked in my computer already. This is a really good tutorial, helped me out the other day even though I have had my tank set up for a month now.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-With-Pictures!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the great links you guys! Now I have more questions

Can patches of moss be placed in the cage to help with humidity?

Do I have to cover the sides of the tank? The tank would be in a extremely low to no traffic area.

Do heat pads melt the tank?

Any tips on keeping humidity?

2 whites tree frogs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Also, should I invest in a 20 gallon tank instead? I wanted to get a male since they stay a bit smaller, whereas females can get up to 6ft.

Do I need a heat lamp and heat pad? Ive heard they don't like overhead heat.

2 whites tree frogs

Thanks

Yes, use dampened Sphagnum moss. Can also be placed in hides to create "humid hides" during shed/whenever.
    Do I have to cover the sides of the tank? The tank would be in a extremely low to no traffic area.
    No, but it's easy so you might consider it. I have three sides covered in insulating black foam to help keep the heat in.
    No. Your heat pad MUST be regulated by a thermostat. A good option is a Hydrofarm, a high-quality option is a Herpstat. The thermostat will keep your heat pad from getting too hot. Your heat pad should never reach a temperature that could melt plastic or crack a tank.
    The easiest ways to keep humidity are to limit air-flow and use a high humidity substrate. Cover the top of the tank with tin-foil (as suggested in the tutorial) and use cypress mulch or dampened cocohusk. I personally prefer cypress mulch mixed with a little bit of aspen because I don't like how dusty cocohusk can get.
    Also, should I invest in a 20 gallon tank instead?
    A 20-gallon will probably be fine for an adult male. The general rule is the enclosure width+length should = the total length of the snake. So a 20 gallon could hold a snake up to 3 feet. However, I personally think you should invest in a PVC enclosure by the time your snake reaches adulthood. They are expensive, but your snake is going to live a LONG time, so you have time to save up for something that is better than a 20 gallon aquarium!
    An under-tank heat pad is highly recommended (don't forget the thermostat!). Your snake is on the ground, so you want to heat the ground. You may also need a supplemental heat lamp to increase the general temperature of the whole tank to 80 deg.

Seriously, read the tutorial that both I and SKO linked to. It's a really strong recipe with everything you need, for people who plan on using a tank for their ball python.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thejennabird For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-05-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thank you. Where exactly do I get a thermostat for a affordable price in Canada? Yes, I read the tutorials, great links. What is a pvc enclosure?

2 whites tree frogs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Thank you so much for the great links you guys! Now I have more questions

Patches of moss can be placed inside the tank and misted to increase humidity, but more often I see people advise putting damp moss inside a hide, as that will trap the moist air better and make a nice environment for the snake, especially when shedding

You don't HAVE to cover the sides of the tank, but in theory, it helps your snake feel less exposed and more secure.

Heat pads won't melt a glass tank, or a sturdy plastic tub for that matter, but make sure you have it connected to a thermostat so you can regulate the temp to about 90 degrees. Also, if you are using a UTH with a tank, you will want to make sure to putt little rubber feet on the tank to create airflow and avoid creating a fire hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Also, should I invest in a 20 gallon tank instead? I wanted to get a male since they stay a bit smaller, whereas females can get up to 6ft.

I think a UTH is generally recommended to create a hot spot for your snake. Some owners get by with just heat tape, while others use both a UTH and heat tape in order to maintain temps. I think the guide will say around 90 for your hot spot and 78-80 on the cooler side. This allows your snake options to regulate its temperature. Most people with tank setups use lamps to help bring the heat up, but your snake doesn't need light. A good option is a ceramic heat emitter (CHE).

I'm not sure I saw what size tank you're using. If it's smaller than 20, it will work while your snake is young, but you'll want to upgrade eventually. A good rule of thumb is that your snake has outgrown its tank when it is as long as the long side + short side of his tank. Others would argue that an adult ball can live out their life in a 20 gallon, but given how active they can be at night, that would seem like a tight fit. If you go for a large tank, just make sure it's cluttered enough with hides and such that your snake doesn't feel exposed.

Humidity is a jerk in tanks. You can cover your lid with tin foil to trap humidity, but then you sacrifice airflow. You can mist, but that's very temporary. I use a humidifier + air exchanger, which is working well so far. Certain substrates will increase humidity, and others use reptifoggers. There is a current thread by Skiploder about humidity that you might want to browse
    1.0 normal ball python (Atticus)
    2.0 cats (Amos and Adam)
    1.0 boyfriend (Alex)

Thanks

Here's the Canadian version of the Hydrofarm, a good and affordable option. Most pet stores don't carry them, but you can usually find them easily online. If you go to a local pet store, try looking for the R-Zilla dial thermostat (like this). It's not as frequently recommended, but it'll do in a pinch.

PVC enclosures are those like Animal Plastics or Boaphile. I bet someone here could recommend a Canadian option. They're made from plastic and hold heat and humidity much better than a tank. They are also front-opening, so you don't have to deal with moving lids or lamps to access your snake. They're a good long-term option to consider if/when you find maintaining proper husbandry is a hassle with a tank.

You may also consider keeping your snake in a clear Sterilite/Rubbermaid/RUB plastic bin. As above, because it's plastic it hold heat and humidity better than glass. It's also much cheaper. However, it's not as easy to view your snake so it's not the best option for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast