Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,559

2 members and 1,557 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Life changing events

Most of you on these forums know me and some of you do not. I am a 41 year old female. I am about to experience a personal life change. I will not go into direct details. I am having some major medical issues of the female type and I may be coming up on a major surgery next year early in the year.

I am very apprehensive about being anesthetized to have a major surgery done. I have never had any major surgery before. I do have two older daughters that I gave birth to but I have never have any major womanly issues before. It is a bit embarrassing when you have never experienced issues like this ever before in your entire life. I am not here to whine or complain but just to seek some guidance and some compassion.
    Last edited by ballpythonluvr; 12-04-2014 at 12:04 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Life changing events

I am 64 years and have had to undergo several major operations. Two of them were major back surgeries and i know it is not fun and can be very scary. Sometimes it helps to get a second opinion, but if that is not possible or nescesary then remember how much better you will feel, and if you have discomfort now how much better it will feel after you heal. Before my surgery I could not walk or sit without great pain now i could run a marathon if i was a little younger and my vision was better. It takes some time to heal so don't get discouraged, keep a positive outlook and smile a lot. Look on my profile i am on skipe if you would like to talk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blue roses For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-04-2014)

Thanks

Hey there -

Although I love my lady bits, I'm beginning to think that they are a bit of a liability I recently had to undergo a minor surgery, and when it was unsuccessful, my doctor made a casual comment about how I was probably not ready to give up the option of bearing children yet. I was shocked that she was already considering that drastic of a solution, but I think medical professionals are much less attached to our insides than we are (no pun intended)! What I can tell you of my surgery is this - they put me in a gown that was hooked up to a warm air pump, so I was nice and toasty, and when I was given anesthesia, I was asleep and awake again literally before I could count backwards from 10. The nurses in the recovery room were very sweet, and they fed me peanut butter toast. They are also very tolerant of post-wakeup weirdness, which is actually a bit entertaining.

Don't be afraid to ask questions until YOU feel relatively comfortable with the idea of surgery. Also, let your loved ones know how you're feeling, and what they can do to be helpful! I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out, I felt so cared about that I started to wonder if I could lose a few more teeth. Who can say no to flowers, naps, and coddling?

I'll be sending out positive vibes and empathy in your direction. Good luck and keep us posted.

Angelique
    1.0 normal ball python (Atticus)
    2.0 cats (Amos and Adam)
    1.0 boyfriend (Alex)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shamri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Well, I'm also female, just a few years old than you, and I've been under the knife twice so far. The first time was to pin my broken hip after my horse threw me into a fence, and the second time was for gall bladder surgery. With both cases there wasn't a whole lot of time between the "here's what's wrong, you need surgery" diagnosis and the actual surgery, so I didn't have a lot of time to get scared over it - and with the gall bladder, I wanted the surgery done yesterday because I was sick of throwing up everything I ate!

I didn't think about the anesthesia beforehand, and it wasn't bad. I had an IV inserted, which is no big deal; if you've ever given blood it's much the same. I was told to count back from 100. I remember getting to about 96 each time, and then I was waking up in the recovery room.

For me post-op and recovery was worse; I have this aversion to taking pain meds even when I should. I'm the type who takes the minimum necessary just to get some sleep and take the edge off so I can function. Your family should be prepared to have you incapacitated for several days after you get home.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Not a woman, but I have recently gone through some major surgeries. in 2012 I had a kidney transplant and then a more invasive surgery to fix some structural problems with the new kidney.

It is 2 1/2 years later and things are going well, but not perfectly.

I totally understand your fears. The transplant was my first major surgery and I was very scared. Additionally, there were many issues to be dealt with after and forever regarding medication and other health issues.

The best advice I can give is to try to keep a smile on your face and be kind to your caregivers. It helps a lot! They appreciate it and you will feel better trying to focus on the positive.

Have faith in the people giving you care and in whatever higher power you believe in.

You will learn through this process that you have much more strength than you think.

Good luck on the journey!

David

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Yesterday's gone. Hope you lived it well.

Tomorrow is a promise as yet unfilled. Hope you live it well.

Now is all you really have. Live it well.

Worry won't help, so don't.

Positive thoughts do help, so do.

You have faith in your God. Rely on that.

I have faith in you. Count on that.

Never give up. Never give in.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-05-2014),bcr229 (12-05-2014),Pyrate81 (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Yesterday's gone. Hope you lived it well.

Tomorrow is a promise as yet unfilled. Hope you live it well.

Now is all you really have. Live it well.

Worry won't help, so don't.

Positive thoughts do help, so do.

You have faith in your God. Rely on that.

I have faith in you. Count on that.

Never give up. Never give in.

Thank you Wes for the encouraging words. I can always count on you to say the right words. Much respect for you and you are a true friend.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

wilomn (12-05-2014)